Thread: Two-year wait for public health care for permanent residents?

Default Two-year wait for public health care for permanent residents?

A friend just told me that her mother, who was granted PR, had to wait for two years before being allowed to use the NZ public health care system. Is this correct? I thought permanent residents were entitled to public health care immediately. Thanks.

(I did a search before posting and couldn't find a recent answer to my question).

This is wrong. Residents (not just permanent residents) are fully entitled to use the NZ Health Service. http://www.health.govt.nz/new-zealan...land-residents In fact, those who have visas that entitle them to work in NZ for two years and more are also entitled to use it. http://www.health.govt.nz/new-zealan...-years-or-more

Thanks JandM - thought my friend was wrong but just wanted to be sure.

The only "lag" is enrolment with a local practice: the lag is between 4 and 12 weeks, since Wellington bulk processes these once a quarter. In the interim you pay out of pocket for prescriptions and a bit more for GP visits.

I was told that if you sponsored your parents, you were responsible for their health care for 2 years, maybe that's what they meant?

Thanks MetalSoul. This was the case with my friend - she sponsored her mother. So that answers the question! Thank you.

The situation for sponsored in parents is different from applying for Residence by other routes - you only gave half the story!

But there's more - the last changes in the law about parents mean that they are now considered to be under sponsorship for FIVE years, not two.