Thread: new Zealand citizen - I want to come back! USA felony....

Default new Zealand citizen - I want to come back! USA felony....

Hi, glad I found this site!

I'm a new Zealand citizen. My passport expired about 5 years ago. I have already gotten all the information I need to re new. I have a lot of support in new Zealand already. I have a good amount of money saved. Around 30k USD.

I recently received a felony for 3erd DUI.... My dues have been paid and iv completeed every requirement.

Will my USA felony effect my NZ citizenship?!! I understand it might effect my NZ drivers license but I'm really ready to renounce my USA citizenship.

I don't want to run into problems.....

If you're a NZ citizen, that's your home place on earth - you've got the right of entry there whatever you've done, and if some other country deported you, it's to NZ that they would send you.

I don't know if your infringement of the law in the US would affect your NZ driving license - you'd need to check that with the NZ authorities. What you need to be aware of is that the law on DUI in NZ has been made MUCH tougher of recent years. There are frequent breath checks and stiff penalties. When you get back to NZ, if you intend to make a go of things, you need to stay sober in your car.

Thank you! I definitely won't be drinking and driving in NZ. I have refrained from alcohol use sence my incident over 3 years ago, there are some circumstances behind the charge, it was a huge blow to my self worth and faith in the US justice system as a whole when I was found guilty and i have sence moved on

Im very excited to come back! I have huge support in NZ from some life long friends. The plan is to take my savings , find a part time job, pursue some surpurb NZ college education. I have a place to live in Auckland already.

I wont be disclosing my american past when I try to get a drivers license. My friend in Auckland will let me use her car to take the test. I have a lot of expirence driving on the "right" side of the road.

My next step once I move is to renounce my US citizenship. I want to cut all ties if possible.

New Zealand citizenship is a right, not a privilege. The only way you can lose it is if you wilfully renounce it. If you get caught smuggling drugs while simultaneously killing a person and molesting children, you'll still not lose it. You'll go to jail for a long long time, of course

Did you not have a NZ driving license before? Even if it's lapsed, it should still be on record in the system, so you'd be able to get it re-issued without having to take the test all over again.

From www.ltsa.govt.nz
    "If your licence expired more than five years ago, you may have to pass theory and practical tests to renew your licence. However, if you can produce evidence of having been licensed to drive during the previous five years (eg with an overseas driver licence) tests may not be required."