Thread: Advice for buying a caravan and suitable car

Default Advice for buying a caravan and suitable car

Hi! I'm about to return to my home town of Christchurch to live after having lived in USA for many years. I'm looking to purchase a car and caravan and would love any advice from those who might have experience with camping and towing on a budget. My total budget for both a car and caravan is close to $35,000. Following is what I'd like to find. Please give me your thoughts and advice on makes and models or anything else related.
    Car needs: Needs to be suitable to pull a 4 birth caravan and suitable for everyday use, economical to run ( I'm use to driving SUV's here in the USA that pull horse trailers so I'm somewhat use to the exspencive of driving a larger car ) low maintence, less than or close to 100,000 on the clock, automatic and priced close to $10,000.
    Caravan needs: 4 birth with fixed bed would be preferable, no carpet, 2003 or newer. I have a dog and a bike and might be spending a lot of time traveling so storage space and a good 5 meters of interior length is preferable. Priced close to $22,000.
    I've been doing a ton of reaserch and so far have come up with the following cars that I THINK might be suitable: Mitsubishi Pajero SWB, VW Touareg, Subaru Outback? ... Land Rover Discovery ( I've owned 3 Discovery's in the past in USA and Aussie and have loved them but probably this is not the best choice since Id like to keep costs down?). Anyway, any advice for me out there?

Thanks for your time guys!

Your biggest cost would be the cost of shipping the SUV and caravan to NZ + GST / Duty taxes. In the past i've advise those wanting to bring cars to NZ is to don't bother if they can be sourced within NZ at a similar price (it's just not worth the headache such as road compliance etc.)

The suitable cars you list are all cheaply available in NZ 2nd hand - since you're aiming for low cost.

Oh my bad, I'm looking to buy in New Zealand.

Best place to look is www.trademe.co.nz. I also have seen http://adventurekiwi.net/ is a good place to hunt for a 2nd hand motor home but it seems to be full of spam at the moment.

Good luck.

Another good site to search car listings is www.autobase.co.nz. This is part of the TradeMe 'family' but i find it easier and more accurate to search.