Thread: US Cell phones in NZ - do they really work?

Default US Cell phones in NZ - do they really work?

As we are getting ready for our big 1st trip in 4 weeks from today (not that I am counting), we were told by Verizon that our phones would work in NZ. Has anybody had any experience with using US-based phones, more specifically Verizon in NZ? Any input appreciated.

Trust. but verify...

Thanks!

As long as you have a world phone and you activate international roaming they do work. Expensive... But they work.

Originally from Malaysia, in Wellington since May 2005

It sure would but would be better a option to just buy a Vodafone or Telecom prepaid SIM card for $35 and use.

Verizon uses CDMA (vs GSM, which is used by Cingular and T-Mobile, among others in the US, not to mention the rest of the civilized world). Telecom NZ does have CDMA coverage, but as I understand it, most of the Verizon phones are locked in a way that will prevent you from using a Sim card bought in NZ; thus you are likely to be restricted to using the international roaming (pronounced "mugging") services from Verizon.

I have Verizon myself and have been seriously considering a move to Cingular with a new phone so that I can go to a quad-band phone (Treo 650) so that I can unlock it and use a local Sim in NZ when we head down on our exploration trip in 2007.

Which phone do you have? If it can't take a Sim card or isn't unlocked, buying a cheap GSM phone (ebay!) and getting a local Sim card and pre-pay is probably the best course of action.

I have a Treo 600. The Verizon ones do not have a sim card, unlike the Cingular ones.

Since the kids are stayng with Grandma and this will be the first time we have been away from the business in 5 years, we need to need easily accessible while in NZ. We are bringing out latops, made sure the hotels have broadband, and Verizon says our phones will work and did something to modify the plan to make it cheaper (the OH arranged it). I just wanted to ensure they do actually work there - and that if someone calls us, the phone will actually ring. If not, I will rent one at the airport.

Thanks!

hmmm I am not sure if verizon phones can work in NZ, as mine was T-mobile.
    When u get a new phone, make sure it's triple band and unlocked from US, so then you can use it in NZ. (mine works fine with vodafone sim card)

I didn't observe much about CDMA while in NZ, since my phone was working properly there.