Thread: Parents Visa's for NZ

Default Parents Visa's for NZ

Hi,

I am from the UK and currently in the process of applying for Residence visa under the Partner category, as my girlfriend has an NZ passport. Assuming all goes well I'll have the visa shortly and be living and working in NZ by May.

My question is if my mother will be able to get a visa easily through me? She doesn't have any great deal of money to invest in NZ. As I'm an only child and she an only parent I've heard that there may be some kind of special dispensation/loophole to make things easier. Is this just a rumour or something I can look into? If so, how and where?

Thanks

Hello.

I'm afraid there is no known easy way to get a visa for a parent. (I can only remember hearing of one special dispensation in recent years, and that was when the only family of a lady of 103 were in NZ, and her UK care home was closing down, so you can see it was in EXTREMELY unusual circumstances.) You have presumably found the Immigration NZ web pages about this issue, here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...nt/default.htm. That's the route for sponsoring a parent.

Is there any other visa your mother might be eligible for? Is she still of working age? Does she have skilled qualifications?

Otherwise, are you aware that she'd have the right to spend half her time in NZ as a visitor?