Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First visas or employer??

Default First visas or employer??

Hello everyone.

I am already decided to move to NZ this year, but I have a dilema now..

Me and my GF received a score for SMC..we have 130 points without the job offer.

So I am thinking now what is better..
    ..to apply for a visas even without received job offer, so when I am in contact with potential employer, I can that I am already in process of getting visas..? But without extra 30 or 40 points.
    ..or firstly try to get in contact with potencial employer and explain I haven't appied for visas. And maybe ask for their support..?

Thanks in advace for any advice!

Ok, let me put my experience/information to use for both the choices-

For 1, the Visa processing will take some time and you will have to provide lot of evidences. You will get Residency and then you can look for a job. Having Residency will definitely make your case attractive to employers, so getting a job becomes easier.

For 2, if you can get a job offer, you can either apply for SMC (like 1) or WTR. INZ would prioritize your case based on joining date, and you can expect much faster Visa. It depends upon how 'hot' the market is for your skill.

I am sure other members will have more useful info. to add.

The way the NZ government immigration quotas are set at the moment, those putting in an EOI to apply for residence under the Skilled Migrant Category need a points total of 140 to get selected if they don't have a job offer. (With a job offer, you need 100 points.) It is not worth applying if you have fewer points than that.

And it is very difficult to get a job offer from a NZ employer without going to NZ in person. See this old post http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....952#post359952 for explanation.

I was very lucky to meet my NZ (hopefully) new employers at the airport in the UK, if i get a job offer (fingers crossed) can anyone advise how quick i could be in NZ?

They are currently saying they would like me out there in March/April.

Does anyone think that is possible ?
    Last edited by Rink1978; 8th January 2015 at 10:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/branc...ocessingtimes/ is INZ London's own page about the timing of applications. This is based on averages of how things have been going just recently, and can obviously not be taken as a definite promise, because all cases are checked out individually, and because it's not possible to predict volume of work just before and at the same time as your own application goes in.

You can show the employer this page, as obviously you are dependent upon the arrival of your visa to be able to go and start working for them.

thanks JandM!

Well they company i'm having my 2nd interview with said they would contact me W/C 12th, i know its only the 12th today but I've had no replies as yet with a date and time.

Do you think i should contact them and ask for time ? or does that seem silly so early ?

Try to be patient a little longer and give them a chance. NZ time tends to be a bit elastic, even in business matters.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Try to be patient a little longer and give them a chance. NZ time tends to be a bit elastic, even in business matters.
    Many thanks. Doesn't help that i sleep next to my ipad, so every email in the night i'm thinking its them.

Think i was awake every hour last night.... i think tonight i might leave the ipad in the kitchen

Hope you have a better sleep.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast