Thread: Bringing an elderly relative to live in NZ

Default Bringing an elderly relative to live in NZ

I have been a citizen for a year now and have an elderly father who has no immediate family in South Africa and wonder if anyone has had a similar query and can give me advise if this is possible. Thanks so much- breaks my heart him being so far away

If your father wants to move to NZ, the situation falls under the rules outlined on the Immigration NZ website, starting here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...nt/default.htm, and going onto the other pages in the link. His, and your, finances, make a difference to which heading his application would come under.

...and his state of health might also be an issue. Just be aware before you spend too much money or build your hopes up too much. If you have any doubts about him meeting the health standards, it is sometimes worth having the medical early in the process. Also note that if you were to put in an Expression of Interest today, you would be looking at either May or probably August before it would be selected, then a further 1 - 2 months to receive an Invitation to Apply and finally another 3 - 6 months for it to be decided. If you can't meet the Tier One criteria, then sadly, this isn't going to work. INZ has said that it could be 7 years before anyone from Tier two is likely to be selected. I promise that I am not trying to be negative here, just wanting you to know that while this is a realistic possibility and many people are successful, it is quite a long, and sometimes difficult path. I wish you the very best of luck!