Thread: Points for Working Experiences

Default Points for Working Experiences

Hi Everyone

My question is on the number of years that can be counted as skilled. I started working in July 2009 as a Trainee Tester then switch to Trainee Analyst Programme in September 2009 itself. After my probation period ended, my job title changed to Analyst programmer in January 2010. My question is, does the period where I worked as a Trainee be counted in my number of years of skilled work experience? Basically the title Trainee is a sort of junior in NZ(like junior analyst programmer).

Thanks and Best Regards
    Ashish

Did you get your qualification before you started as a Trainee Tester?

Hello

I graduated in Bsc Software Engineering (completed my IQA and obtained level 7) on June 2009. My then-company recruited me as a "Trainee Tester" but I wanted to do programming, hence company switched my job to Trainee Analyst Programmer..

Find the ANZSCO heading you intend to apply under, then compare the definition of the job with what you had to do. Ignore the job title given by the company, because that can be anything that makes sense to the employer - it is the requirements and responsibilities that you have to compare with ANZSCO.

Hi JandM

Thank for your reply. Having had a look at the ANZSCO, the Trainee Analyst Programmer would be equivalent of "261314 - Software Tester" and my job role starting with Trainee Analyst Programmer to Analyst Programmer, to the post I occupied now would fall under "261312 - Developer Programmer". Hence it is correct for me to assume that if I submit my EOI after July 2015, I can claim for 6 years plus of skilled employment instead of 4 years (as defined in http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...iapply/points/)

For all the details of regulations about claiming points, see here. SM6 has a chart of all available points, and the last column there tells you which other heading to look at, to see the fine detail of what you need in order to get certain of them. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/6954.htm