Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bringing my gf from Japan to NZ

Red face Bringing my gf from Japan to NZ

Hi there.

I and my gf have been together for a couple of months but have been living separately as I live in NZ and she lives in Japan.

I suggested that she will live in NZ for 12 months on a working holiday visa so we can live together over the course of time. ^_^

Would we be able to apply for her parmanent residency at the end of her stay in NZ as a working holiday visa holder if I become a sponsor? I have been holding my permanent residence visa for about 2 years.

is this the best way to get her to move to NZ? are there alternative ways? She is 29. We thought introducing her to NZ on a working holiday visa was a good first step.

Thank you in advance.

That sounds like a good plan.

WHV is a very good way to start. Collect solid evidence that you are living in the same home from the very first day - if you can show two or three different pieces of evidence for each passing week, you will make life easier whenever you make your application.

You need 12 months' evidence to apply for partner-sponsored Residence http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ly/default.htm. (Permanent Residence is a different visa, which she will be able to apply for after a minimum of two years as a Resident.)

Otherwise, if she and you wanted to, she could apply for a partner-sponsored temporary work visa http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm. No time requirement is mentioned in the regulations for this, but from people's experience, we know that it needs about three months' evidence minimum to be taken seriously by INZ. This visa is an open visa, which means that the holder can work at any job offered, or run a business. The advantage of using this before leading on to the partner-sponsored residence could be that there would be no worry about the shortage of time to get the application in at the end of the WHV, and one visa running out before she could get the next.

Thank you JandM and Sun777 for your responses. It's great to know about the other option "a partner-sponsored temporary work visa".

I have one more question.. so my partner has applied for a working holiday visa from Japan. If it gets accepted she would like to commence the visa late August this year but she has just booked flgiht tickets to visit me in New Zealand in April... We are worried that if the visa above is accepted before April will her WHV commence when she enters NZ first time in April? She will only be visiting for less than a week!

Thank you.

I think you're right, that once the visa is issued it will be activated by the first entry. Can she contact the authorities and tell them she wants it to run from August? - I don't know if that's possible, but it's worth asking.

If it's not possible to delay the issue of the WHV, and it gets activated in April, it won't stop her coming back in August, because WHVs have multiple entry travel conditions. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../whsonline.htm It would have used up four months of the year, but there would still be time for you to follow your plans and apply for the partner-sponsored temporary work visa.

With the WHV its like that :

- once accepted you have exactly one year to enter the country
    - because the japanese working holiday scheme has unlimited places available she will most likely get the visa if character, health and funds requirements are all met, its all online so it will virtually not be possible to tell them that you want it to commence at a later date, since its already applied for and its too late i am afraid if once granted.
    You could try contacting the embassy but I think it wont work.

-Having read trough INZ FAQ for WHV , there is another way but you need to quickly contact her and tell her to withdraw the application if it has not yet been decided on ( login on INZ to see current status ) but beware the WHV are decided on quickly. Then she could come as a tourist and apply before august and have the full 12 month.

If I change my mind after submitting my working holiday scheme application, can I withdraw it?
    If your application has not been decided, you can withdraw it by sending an e-mail to workingholiday@mbie.govt.nz using the same e-mail address that you provided on your application. Your application fee will not be refunded.

But like JandM said its a multiple entry visa so she can come and go as she pleases for exactly one year once entred.

Best of luck !
    Last edited by fabs; 19th January 2015 at 01:27 AM.

Thank you fabs and JandM. We should have known better >_<

Like fabs said perhaps we can email to workingholiday@mbie.govt.nz to see if we can withdraw.. it says that the application fee wont be refunded. As far as I know, she has submitted her application on web but has not been asked to pay.

Question 1: If her request of withdrawal gets accepted can she re-apply for WHV again around May after she returns from NZ?

Question 2: Will she need to do more than an X-ray for her medical check if she has entered NZ for 6 days prior to applying for WHV?

Question 3: She has an appointment today with a radiologist to get her x-ray done.. do you know how long this checkup can be used before she will need to update it again in order to apply for WHV?

Thank you.

Yes immediatly email them !
    From my experience your GF must have put in her credit card details into the online application which will automatically deduct the amount from her account once processed. So if she says she hasnt put in the credit card details then the application has not been lodged because you have to "pay" before sending it off. Its like a two step process
    1. finish the application and save
    2 .put in credit card details, pay and send it off

Question 1: Yes no problem just apply again
    Question 2: No
    Question 3: within 3 month when the xray was signed by the doc so it wont work for the application in August.
    http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/...ertificate.htm

Quote Originally Posted by fabs View Post
    Yes immediatly email them !
    From my experience your GF must have put in her credit card details into the online application which will automatically deduct the amount from her account once processed. So if she says she hasnt put in the credit card details then the application has not been lodged because you have to "pay" before sending it off. Its like a two step process
    1. finish the application and save
    2 .put in credit card details, pay and send it off

Question 1: Yes no problem just apply again
    Question 2: No
    Question 3: within 3 month when the xray was signed by the doc so it wont work for the application in August.
    http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/...ertificate.htm
    Regarding question 3: i see.. if she submits the application in Maya after her trip to NZ in April then the x-ray certificate produced this month will be too old..

Thank you fabs, I will have a chat with my gf.

Kind regards.

We have decided to email them to withdraw her application. Ill report here how it goes. ^^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast