Thread: Clevedon Coast Oysters

Question Clevedon Coast Oysters

Hi there, are there any retailer in north shore selling Clevedon Coast Oyster?

I noticed that there are other oyster farms/shops nearby Auckland. Which one is closed to north shore?

Btw, is it now the best eating time for oyster in Auckland?

Thanks.
    Last edited by oceanfish; 19th January 2015 at 04:17 PM.

You might find fresh Clevedon oysters in supermarkets but it is usually later into the year approaching winter. Similar with fish shops like Oceanz, fresh ones may not be possible but you can find perfectly good frozen or preserved ones. However if you are looking for a oyster farm, the nearest that I know of (I could be wrong here) is a little off Matakana. To ensure maximum freshness I would get an oyster knife and remove the shell myself. It makes quite a difference.

Thanks a lot. Yeah, the best season for their oysters should be winter, but they still have skinny fresh ones for sale now. I guess Matakana should be the same.

Yes they are available at most farms 3/4 the whole year around but tend to be rather small if not in the season. However they are just as tasty and fresh. It is just supermarkets that are only interested in selling off the larger clevedon oysters (and bluff oysters) only when it is in season. If you are not too busy, it may be worth the trouble to drop in to clevedon if you are south. It is just 20 mins off Papakura through some really winding roads.