Thread: Working as a Paramedic/Transfer from British army to NZ army

Default Working as a Paramedic/Transfer from British army to NZ army

I'm keen to hear if there is anyone on this forum who has either had experience in moving from the UK as a Paramedic over to NZ, or anyone that knows the process or what is required in terms of job offers, qualification conversions etc.

I am an EMT3 studying to become a paramedic, and hoping to qualify on 2017.
    My husband and I are keen on immigrating as soon as I qualify, and I'd like to know if anyone has made the same application for work as a paramedic.
    I have emailed St John Ambulance for some advice but await their response, as I am sure their HR office would be closed now

My husband is a CIS Engineer in the British army and is looking to transfer into the NZ army if possible, and if not, move into the civilian equivalent of a CIS Engineer (Comms and Information systems Engineer).
    I know his civilian equivalent job would be a bit easier to come by, but if anyone has any knowledge/advice of transferring from the British army to NZ army, that would be helpful?

Thanks
    RP

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I'd suggest also trying Wellington Free Ambulance for advice. But go through the Immigration requirements with a fine tooth comb. Most professions require experience post qualification, so you may not be able to get in via that route.

The Army however might be able to swing things. I've asked my mate, who was in the UK TA in comms and then worked in the NZ Army for a while, if he can help.

It would be great to see if your mate can help in regards to the Army info ... much appreciated!

Your first step WRT joining the army in NZ would be to contact the relevant NZDF lateral recruitment team, they will advise whether your partners trade is in demand at present. A google should bring them up.