Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should we bring to Auckland

Default What should we bring to Auckland

Hi All,

My job transfer to Auckland has been agreed, medicals done and visa in progress.

This is a question often asked I bet, but - would you guys have any suggestions of what to bring to Auckland?

We are'nt bringing much furniture so should have some room in the container.

For example, I hear that spirits are expensive? I love the odd tipple of Scotch Whisky, so I was going to bring a few bottles, but other than this, I'm not sure.

I'm bringing my extensive collection of tools for various hobbies too, presumably things like Bench Vices are readily available - I left mine due to the weight?

Is it worth stocking up on sportswear etc - we are not 'label driven' so if there's decent sportsear in NZ, happy to go for this?

Any advice appreciated.

It will be good to get your sportsgear, from end of February you will see change of season here so you may want to be prepared for that hoodies, track pants, shoes etc. I used our UK collection for about 2 years as similar ones were pretty expensive here.

Many thanks sun777

We'll be sure to stock up on sports gear for my wife and I. Probably not for our son as at 12 he's still growing so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    It will be good to get your sportsgear, from end of February you will see change of season here so you may want to be prepared for that hoodies, track pants, shoes etc. I used our UK collection for about 2 years as similar ones were pretty expensive here.

It's been said before but - if in doubt bring it! The worst that can happen is you find you don't need something in which case you can probably sell it here at a profit. Bring your tools and bench vises; weight is not an issue in a container. I chucked out great boxes of hardware, woodscrews, nails etc. and wished I hadn't; they are really expensive here.

Just go to ikea and stock up......no ikea here!

We're currently trying to decide what to bring. In terms of the Ikea suggestion, I assume it's easiest shipped in the original boxes, but doesn't that expose you to customs charging you GST? Or is it worth taking the risk.

We need a new TV, but it looks like Dick Smith is reasonable and avoids the risk of warranty issues. Any other major purchases that people wished they'd made before they left for NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bromley86 View Post
    We're currently trying to decide what to bring. In terms of the Ikea suggestion, I assume it's easiest shipped in the original boxes, but doesn't that expose you to customs charging you GST?
    If it has some sort of wear & tear then they might not question, also keep proof of purchase/receipts handy if it comes to justifying.

I was told recently by one of Noel Leeming sales person that with UHD the televisions might change within short span of time (TV models which were $5000+ had upto 20%-25% discount so they can roll over much newer models). Queens Birthday, Boxing Day sale etc will follow through the year so you can always purchase it locally at discounted prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromley86 View Post
    Any other major purchases that people wished they'd made before they left for NZ?
    kayaks
    paddleboards
    general camping equipment
    chainsaw
    ladder
    shoes
    quality picture frames
    sporting equipment like balls, goggles, etc

Cheers guys. Ladder! I'd been hoping to get a bungalow and finally get rid of my 3-section . And bringing kayaks/paddleboards feels like coals to Newcastle, so I'd never have thought of that. Does the sports/camping thing apply to wetsuits as well?

I'd been wondering what the Curry's equivalent was and Noel Leeming seems to be a match. I take it that there's still nothing like Screwfix in NZ? Looks like it'll be sensible to stock up on power tools before I move, although a chainsaw is one of those tools that I wouldn't buy a cheap-and-cheerful version of!

I can't think of anything that is cheaper here, so if you have the space, bring everything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast