Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone shipping a container from North Germany or around to the North Island this year ?

Default Anyone shipping a container from North Germany or around to the North Island this year ?

Hello Everybody,

is anybody shipping a container from North Germany or around to the North Island this year and has still some space left ?
    I would like to ship a closed self build box over. This Box would fit the Container perfectly in width and takes 1 metre from the length while being roughly 1.8 metres high. The remainig space above could be used for smaller items.
    The loading / unloading will be done by myself and the preferable time would be at the end of the year.

Any offers ?

Tilmann

Hi there...

I forgot to mention that -of cause- I would like to pay for my part of the occupied space.

Iīve asked for the price for my relative small load at movers and the like and one offered me the amount of 2320 USD which I find very expensive.
    Has it be that costly ?(4.1 cubic metres)
    Please let me know what your experiences are.
    all answers very much appreciated !

Regards

Tilmann

Hi Tilmann,

the price sounds right to me. We are talking about roughly 21000 km (Hamburg-Wellington), right! The technical term for a wooden box is "crate". Ask them about shipping a crate! Cheers

Hi Lazysnapper,

thank you very much for your reply. Actually I asked them for a crate to be shipped.... If Icanīt find a cheaper solution for shipping my stuff, I have to sell a part here in Germany and buy again in NZ. But as Iīve looked forward to ship my tools over, which are collected over many years....they will be very costly to buy at once a second time.

Tilmann

Hi,

This might be a slightly crazy idea, but have you thought about driving your stuff over to shippers in uk?

For reference I shipped 9 cubic metres in a shared container ( including packing and pick up) for about $2000 U.S. last year.

That does seem like a lot,have you asked around for quotes? I think I paid less for a whole container, although a few years ago.

lou76 and dharder, thank you for the replies.
    @lou : No, I have not thought about this until now ...mainly because Hamburg is a quite important port and for me itīs only one hour to drive... I will check this again. I got a quote from a british mover...they wanted to collect the crate with a lorry and ship it by road to england. This was expensive aswell.
    @dharder: That is what I am thinking. Iīll ask around. There must be a cheaper option. I think the best would be a private shared container.

Bremerhaven? The shipping company I used (Hamburg Sued) is based in Hamburg, but I took the car to Bremerhaven.

I used John Mason if it helps. I have shipped with them twice now. The first with a car where I also dropped off boxes for them to ship alongside it. Maybe instead of building a crate, you just deliver the boxes to them, via van and then they will slot the stuff amongst a shared container and deliver to your new address in NZ.

I have shipped stuff 3 times now (I know!) via shared container and each time it has arrived safely with no breakages.

Germany would obviously be the best option, bit might be worth considering if you cant get the price down.

Thanks again for your replies,

Bremerhaven is a very good too, I'm located perfectly in the middle between Hamburg and Bremerhaven.
    And I'll check out John Mason.

Tilmann

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast