Thread: Unclear about Working options - Graduate Concerns

Lightbulb Unclear about Working options - Graduate Concerns

Hello everyone,

I have some questions after reading some information on INZ website, hopefully you wouldn't mind helping me out.

1. Study to Work
    Currently I am a recent Bachelor graduate from Victoria University of Wellington, majoring in Finance and Accounting.
    As far as I have read on the site, they say that I can get one year Post-Study Work Visa (open) after my Student Visa expires. And while I am on that visa, if I find a job that is relevant to my qualification I can get Post-Study Work Visa (employer assisted) for up to 3 years.

My concern is that how do INZ identify a job to be relevant to my degree (Accounting and Finance)?
    Plus, do I have to leave NZ after the Post-Study Work Visa (Employer Assisted) expires? Or can I apply for Resident/PR Visa?
    If the later one happens, then another concern rises:

2. Work-to-Residence and SKC

A. WTR
    It does seem that my qualification in Accounting and Finance, plus no experience, will not fit in the Long Term Skill Shortage List.
    Thus, there seems to be only one option under WTR as they say on the site - accredited employers.
    However, I have heard quite a number of people have gained their WTR visa from other un-credited employers, like cafes, bakeries and such, and they were waiters/attendant.
    I wonder how they pull it off? Cause if I apply for a job to an un-credited employer but it's quite relevant to my degree, how can I apply for a WTR visa?

B. SKC
    I did a little research on the Skilled Occupations List, and apparently all Accounts Clerks or Accounts Assistants roles are not listed or qualified. As I do not have experience working in financial and accounting services, these are the ones that I more likely will be able to get.
    Also, some entry level financial and accounting jobs are not listed as Skilled - yes at this point I am worried for my future, as if NZ isn't welcoming me or punishing me for my past.
    I wonder if any entry level roles in finance and accounting sector would satisfy the SMC Scheme?

I really want to keep my head up all the time for a chance to work in NZ, but it doesn't seem clear enough.
    Thank you and sorry for the long post, here's a dancing banana

I can get one year Post-Study Work Visa (open) after my Student Visa expires.
    Yes, agreed.

And while I am on that visa, if I find a job that is relevant to my qualification I can get Post-Study Work Visa (employer assisted) for up to 3 years.
    Yes, agreed.
    My concern is that how do INZ identify a job to be relevant to my degree (Accounting and Finance)?
    If the job you are offered is in the accountancy/finance sector, and without the degree, you would not be considered suitable for that job.
    Plus, do I have to leave NZ after the Post-Study Work Visa (Employer Assisted) expires?
    If you had no other visa, then you would have to leave.
    Or can I apply for Resident/PR Visa?
    If by then you met the conditions, you could apply for Residence under SMC. (PR is a different visa that you can only apply for after two years minimum spent as a resident.)

Regarding all the rest of your questions, it looks as though you're missing the point that, by the time you're in a position to think about applying under SMC, which would assume that you had successfully landed a relevant job, you would not have NO experience. By that time, you would not just be starting out - you would have been in employment for possibly a number of years (and I see that 'three years experience' is mentioned in the skills list as one of the criteria for a general accountant).

And as you can see here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...tudytowork.htm there is provision for a long-enough Post-study work visa (employer assisted) to enable you to qualify for registration with the official body of accountants. You would by then have made more contacts in the world of work, and would have a more knowledgeable view of the opportunities for various career paths. And you should indeed be in a skilled job.

By the time you had gone through this process, you would be maybe four years down the road after your graduation. This is a reasonable amount of time to look ahead in your career - these days, nobody can be certain what will come to them in the future, either to count their chickens or to despair over it!

However, I have heard quite a number of people have gained their WTR visa from other un-credited employers, like cafes, bakeries and such, and they were waiters/attendant.
    "I have heard" is a dangerous thing in the world of qualifying for visas. There is always someone with a story to tell of either fantastic luck to make you envious, or of someone just like you who had everything go wrong so their whole life fell apart!

Look here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...k/workperm.htm It says this.
    Work to Residence - for people who:

are qualified in occupations that are in demand in New Zealand, or
    have a job offer from an accredited employer, or
    have exceptional talent in sports or the arts.
    Do you see waiters or attendants in cafes or bakeries meeting any of those descriptions? Of course not. If you see a foreigner working legally in NZ in a position of that kind, they are probably either on an open visa (they can take any job offered) because they're the partner of a NZer, the partner of a NZ resident, or the partner of the holder of a full temporary work visa; a Resident themself (who used to work in a skilled job and got their residence on the basis of it); or they're on a temporary work visa because the employer was able to demonstrate to INZ that they had advertised the job thoroughly but no NZer or visa holder suitable had come forward (and if it's a visa on this latter base, it will not lead on to residence because the job is not skilled).

Thank you for the detailed reply JandM,

So far, I find it really hard for me as I do not have a clear plan for the future, like taking the path of either finance or accounting or wandering around New World supermarkets for employment, they are very nice to me and happy to have me there and probably would offer me a working visa, but not for my desired jobs.

I have seen some advertisements made by some Chinese Companies on TradeMe stating they can help you with work/residence visa if you work for them with conditions apply. Is it true? Has anyone been through this before?

I expect your university has a careers advisor, and/or that tutors in your department could talk to you about what useful next steps you could take on your career path. That is more likely to lead to a suitable outcome for a would-be professional like you, than the world of casual jobs that don't lead anywhere, especially not to a long-term visa.

Thanks again JandM,

Yeah I will find someone to talk about it and work it out. I have been to our Uni's Careers Advisor before and she told me to aim for small/medium companies, not the big ones as I will have less chance to compete against domestic and high achievers across the country.
    Probably worst case scenario is I have to leave, I'll find a job in my country and come back to NZ later once I have enough experience then, hope that will work.

Anyway, thanks for spending time with me. Have a good night!
    Here's a blue dancing banana.

You're in the same boat with me. I'm about to start a new thread but I saw that one, Alistar
    I also have a BCom from Victoria Uni and now work on the post study open work visa for almost 8 months now. The job is certainly not skilled enough to be eligible for PR, as it's just assistant accountant for a small/medium company. That said, I'm keep working as it gives me some more experience and money, which are both important for any future plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
    Thank you for the detailed reply JandM,

So far, I find it really hard for me as I do not have a clear plan for the future, like taking the path of either finance or accounting or wandering around New World supermarkets for employment, they are very nice to me and happy to have me there and probably would offer me a working visa, but not for my desired jobs.

I have seen some advertisements made by some Chinese Companies on TradeMe stating they can help you with work/residence visa if you work for them with conditions apply. Is it true? Has anyone been through this before?
    Which ads did you see? Which companies dare to post these kinds of stuff on Trademe
    Even if there's a black market for it, the conditions would be horrible. I think it'd be a kind of scam.
    http://www.3news.co.nz/tvshows/campb...#axzz3PWEf2xH3

Hi l00k,

It's a local company in Wellington owned by Chinese people, kinda like a capital and real estate firm.
    I am not sure to name them in our forum as the regulations may affect such action.