Thread: Study visa intending working

Default Study visa intending working

Hello guys,

Since I had my work and holiday visa (WHV) granted, I am looking how my wife can have a study visa. After too much information, here I have some questions that I would like to hear from you:

- Considering that my WHV is for a year, does she need to be enrolled in a 1 year course to have a 1 year visa (an English course for example)?
    - If she enrolls a 6 month course, the visa will be granted for 6 months, right? At the end of this period, can she enroll another 6 month course and have another visa for more 6 months?

We intent to work, not to study, so we are trying to find a way to get a visa that allows her to enter the country and look for a part time job at the beginning, while studying. After that, we both intent getting job offers to apply for work visas. So, if she can get a job offer before her first 6 month visa expires, there's no need to pay for another course.

I would appreciate your comments about that!
    Thank's!

Your WHV gives your wife no rights at all to any visa. She will need a visa of some kind in her own right for whatever length of time she will stay in NZ.

I expect you have seen the requirements here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...hatisrequired/ about obtaining a student visa, with links to more details about the kind of courses which can give her the right to a student visa. However, BE VERY CAREFUL about the intention to a work while on a student visa. The rights to do this are strictly limited. See this page. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...allaboutvisas/ Anyone who is caught breaking immigration law can have their visa revoked immediately, which stays on record and blocks the grant of other visas in the future.

Hello JandM!
    Off course we don't intent to break the law. She will only work if her visa allows her to work part time. And if after some time she get a job offer, than she will apply for a working visa.