Thread: Rental House Paperwork & Move-In Time

Default Rental House Paperwork & Move-In Time

We are moving in July and wants to book a short-term rental for 2 to 3 weeks. We have already decided on where to stay and have been monitoring rental houses there. If we find a house we like, how long does paperwork take for us to be able to move in? (Assuming house is "Available Now" when advertised). We are looking for a house in Auckland.

Thank you!

Very quick can be within 1-2 weeks, come with a reference, if you know a friend in NZ that can give you a character reference all the better, be prepared for a credit check(NZ). Bring 3 weeks bond.

It can be almost immediate if the house is on the market but beware though, some houses have loads of people shortlisted and conduct open homes and interviews. The landlords and agents have the pick of the bunch. Before we bought our house, we thought of renting as well, in a tough Devonport market and the house we looked at, had 26 people sending in applications. If I were you, I'll get a list of possible leads and not just zeroed in on 1 house alone.

Hagabel, batgirl1001

Thanks very much for your input. That was very useful advice. In that case, I would arrange minimum 3 weeks short-term rental while house hunting. Regarding house hunting applications, that sounds like a job interview

Crossing my fingers ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bel NZ View Post
    In that case, I would arrange minimum 3 weeks short-term rental while house hunting.
    Most people who rent their properties want 3 (sometimes 2, sometimes 4) weeks bond for possible damages, not 3 weeks minimum rent. The weekly rent is in addition to the bond and 3-6 month leases are very common.

Oh, oops, I see I answered something you didn't ask! See what happens when you read the original post one day and the responses the next? Carry on.

We got it all settled in 3 days (it could have been faster than that too) but I would suggest to have a look at least twice and at 2 different timings. June/July would be cold here to just make sure the house gets enough light and has good ventilation. Based on our experience, paperwork and references usually takes just one day.