Thread: Which visa for an One-man business

Default Which visa for an One-man business

Hi all,

Can anybody tell me which visa I should apply for to work in NZ as a freelancer?
    Currently in my hometown I own an one-man (IT Consulting) business.

Cheers, Jirax

There isn't anything specially tailored for freelancers. Foreigners who work in that mode in NZ will have had to get a visa by presenting their qualifications and work experience in a way that fits one of the existing visa options. One possibility is as an Entrepreneur http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/invest/, by starting a business that can give employment to NZers. Another is by going in as a Skilled Migrant http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...nt/default.htm, a category designed for people intending to be employed in a skilled job. In either case, once you achieve Residence, you have the right to work in whatever way you want.

Apart from residence, the only long term open visas - ones that allow a person to take any job offered, skilled or not, or to run a business - are those sponsored by a partner who is a NZ citizen, or residence or work visa holder.

Hi

I'm currently working as a freelance Software Developer and/or Project Manager in The Netherlands under my 'one-man business'.
    I was planning to move this towards New Zealand. I saw on the freelance website (https://www.freelancer.co.nz/) that there are many assignments available.

Which visa should I apply for?
    And no I have no plans (for now) to expand my business.

Cheers, J

Like I said, there is no visa for a one-man business. You would have to do something else FIRST, to fit with their existing regulations.

Getting a visa is a kind of exchange deal you make with INZ - you get to live and work in NZ, and they get either another skilled worker for the NZ economy, or somebody bringing NZ jobs and money. So you have to show yourself as one of those things in order to get in. For instance, if you have qualifications and work experience in the IT sector, you might be able to get Residence under the Skilled Migrant Category, if INZ think you are going to look for an IT job once there. When you have Residence, you could then work freelance, but you won't get Residence if you say you're going to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    but you won't get Residence if you say you're going to do that.
    What do you mean that this?

They will not give you Residence if you tell them you intend to be self-employed. Residence under the Skilled Migrant Category is aimed at people who are going to be workers, employed by somebody else.