Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: B B Q Warning

Default B B Q Warning

Now that summer is pretty much here we thought we would crank up our BBQ.

Need to get gas so we took the valve thing down to Warehouse to get some gas. None of their gas bottles would fit so we went to a BBQ shop.
    Non of the gas bottles would fit our UK valve.
    So we asked about buying a new valve.

We were told there that our valve and pipe connection was illegal!!!!!
    Apprantly the pipe from the valve to the BBQ needs to be permantely attached to the valve. They use a special glue to attach the pipe to the valve. Also the pipe into the the BBQ itself needs to be secured via screw in attachement not just a 'juliane' clip which our UK one is.
    So you can't just buy a new valve and shove it on the pipe you have to get a pipe and valve set, but the pipe bit won't attach to our BBQ.

SO no BBQ for us the labour weekend

It looks like we will either got to a gas company to get the valve / pipe / BBQ attached proberly or buy a whole new BBQ

Will keep you all informed on the out come.
    It might prove better to sell your BBQ in the UK and get a new one here.

Thanks for the info Miffy but Nah, personally I'll carry on useing good ol' charcoal.

Im about to enter into the deep and mysterious world of BBQ's myself. Never had one in the UK.

There are so many available - ive no idea what im looking for. One thing I have found - charcoal BBQs seem quite expensive here.

However - looking forward to learning some new cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles
    Thanks for the info Miffy but Nah, personally I'll carry on useing good ol' charcoal.
    My brother and my Dad consider themselves BBQ experts and both rubbished the idea of gas BBQ's years ago. I notice both of them now have state of the art gas barbies with lots of burners, a spit and, on my brothers one, a built in wok. I don't think my Mum roasts chicken anymore - it just goes on the spit!! My Dad swears by his - and as far as I'm concerned, charred food is charred food however it comes about.

Debs

Gas Barbies are the way forward.
    With theire roasting spits, hot plates, and hoods.
    Some of the BBQ over here are twice the size of a normal oven!

Ah, the humble BBQ! So simple yet causes so much trouble

Sorry, charcoal fer me all the way. Gas bbqs are just big boy's toys

The thing I just dont get about Gas BBQs is that you dont get the "BBQ flavour" that you get from Charcoal.

Am I missing something????

I think BBQs are a crafty way to get the men to help with cooking , and adding gas makes it even easier. We're charcoal fans in our home, especially mesquite. Don't know if it's available in NZ, though. We might have to make some applewood charcoal when we get there.

About which kind of BBQ to get: if you like charcoal, I recommend a Webber-type design. Webber is a popular brand in the States, don't know if they are found abroad. They are spheroidal: bowl-shaped pan and bowl-shaped lid. I guess that helps distibute the heat evenly. I think the (approx.) 2-foot size costs about $80US. In ours, my OH smokes fish and even cooks the Thanksgiving turkey. Yum.

Rather than buying "poof juice" (aka white man's fire) to start the charcoal (icky tastes), I recommend getting a BBQ chimney-shaped starter. It looks like a big can with a handle. There are vent holes in the bottom and a ventillated pan inside. You put your charcoal in the top, newspaper in the bottom, light the paper, let the coals get glowy, pour them out, and Bob's yer uncle.

Weber is available here. Only you are looking at about $300 nz for a 22" barbie!

May want to look at:
    http://www.bbqfactory.co.nz/
    to compare!

Im currently eyeing up at Masport Weekender 6 deluxe 6 burner gas BBQ. And yes - its significantly bigger than my oven!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast