Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Guide To Buying Second Hand Car

I think you'll find that many newer cars are now fitted with camchains instead of cambelts.

Cam chains need to be changed fewer times than cam belts. But cam chains cost more to change.

With this thread in mind, I asked a mechanic about cam chains and cam belts. He says almost all European and Japanese cars these days have cam belts, and they need to be changed regularly (depending on the mileage/kilometreage covered). More American cars have cam chains, which hardly ever need to be changed.

Sorry JandM, I'd have to disagree. Most European and high end Japanese cars have cam Chains. All the new European cars I have owned since 2005 are Chain driven. Most of the new Hondas are Chain driven also, as well as some of the Nissan (Infiniti) and Toyota (Lexus). I do my own basic servicing on all my cars and I keep all the mechanical manuals for my reference.

My question is: What's the kiwi way to negotiate used car prices? It's quite difficult to determine how much the car worth. Every dealer seems to have their own price depending on how much they paid at the Japanese auctions.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    With this thread in mind, I asked a mechanic about cam chains and cam belts. He says almost all European and Japanese cars these days have cam belts, and they need to be changed regularly (depending on the mileage/kilometreage covered). More American cars have cam chains, which hardly ever need to be changed.

I used Paul Kelly motor company they were very helpful to deal with

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123