Thread: Jobs, jobs, jobs...

Originally from Malaysia, in Wellington since May 2005

Default Jobs, jobs, jobs...

We were selected on 110 point but with no job offer. I realised that looking for a job while I am not in New Zealand is not going to happen. So I am planning to make a trip to New Zealand to scout for a job.

I read somewhere here that Dec/Jan is bad for scouting around for work as most recruiters will be on holiday. When does the holiday period in New Zealand end? And when will be the best time to scout for work?

The initial plan is to leave for Christchurch for about 2 weeks and another 2 weeks in Auckland/Wellington or where I have a lead. Plan to do this sometime Feb 05. Do you think this is doable?

Thanks and cheers,

Hi Shagen,

We're taking a similar approach with Andy flying out to ChCh on 14Oct for 10 days. Can't at the moment take any more time from work as we went to NZ and OZ for a month in April.

We have however been able to set up quite a lot of mtgs before him going there. One approach we took was ordering Yellow Pages for the areas we're interested in (ChCh and Wellington), simply log-on to http://www.yellow.co.nz/site/directorydistribution/ and follow the guidelines to ordering your own copy. I know you can find all on the net, but having your own copy works a lot easier, and there's also more info displayed in the adds rather then on the net.

I simply sent out lots of e-mails to agencies / companies that at first glance look like they can help, and took things forward from there.

There not too expensive around £70 for the both, and they reached us within 3 days of ordering which we thought was pretty amazing. Dealt with a really nice lady at the enquiry desk (by e-mail) - am starting to enjoy the friendly approach most kiwi's seem to adopt

Good luck :hopeso

shagen? are you looking for an IT job too?

jes :angel

Jes,

I wish I was since that's where all the hype is! But sadly no, I am in the accounting/auditing line and although I hear there's plenty out there, can't seem to hook anything.

Either I'm not doing it right or its my luck!

Hopefully when I get there, it is better...

Which line are you in Jes? Are you also looking for a job before going over? How's your progress?

Cheers,

Default Jobs

You can now search the NZ Herald for jobs, which means a lot of the jobs will not involve agencies, probably teachers and nurses would be able to get jobs over the phone because it is all about qualifications and how far they have gone in their career.http://www.nzherald.co.nz/classified...p;subpillar=28

Thanks Gran,

I'll try my luck with the Herald.

Cheers,