Thread: Phone unlocking in NZ

Default Phone unlocking in NZ

Hi guys,

This may seem like a minor issue but we are just trying to tick all boxes in our list of things to do before moving to Auckland.

Would anyone know if it's straightforward to unlock an iPhone once we get to NZ? Our son has an iPhone 4S which was on O2 but now on GiffGaff. I suspect it will need unlocking to use in NZ. O2 will probably be able to sort, but just in case, we wondered if anyone has unlocked phones once in NZ?

As always, any advice appreciated.

Oh, and I can disclose that my name is 'Dave' now that our family all know we are moving to NZ :-) My username of 'Relocate2014' was a little off the mark but not too far as we'll be moving this month or early next.

I asked my network provider before I left the UK, if I would need to do anything with my Blackberry when I arrived in New Zealand... They replied that 'no, it will work'.

So, when I arrived in Auckland and swapped out my UK purchased O2 sim card for a New Zealand sim card for Vodafone that I had purchased in advance from http://www.0044.co.uk/ , I couldn't understand why it didn't work.

I went to the Vodafone shop on Queens Street who recommended a mobile phone shop on K Road who would be able to sort it out.

Morale of this story: Not believe when your network provider tells you. And there's always a way to resolve this issues.

I expect that your iPhone might need a similar approach but apart from a couple of hours, it'll be resolved and this will become one of those stories you'll retell when anyone mentions unlocking UK purchase phone for NZ.