Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long is a SMC valid?

Default How long is a SMC valid?

Hi all,

Let's say I apply for the SMC and it is successfully granted.
    How long is the visa valid? (assume you got the visa, but are not (yet) working in NZ.

Cheers, J

You get 1 year to activate your SMC visa

Also, when you get the news that you are Approved In Principle, you have six months before you have to pay the Migrant Levy and send in your passport for the sticker to be put in, and THEN the 12 months starts, by the end of which you must have activated the visa by arriving in NZ. So if you need it, you have almost 18 months to sort out your affairs before travelling.

thanks guys!

Hi,

May I know more on the meaning of "activating" the visa? After activated, how long the Resident visa valid?

Where can I find more information on this topic? I am confused on this.

Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by royfantc View Post
    Hi,

May I know more on the meaning of "activating" the visa? After activated, how long the Resident visa valid?

Where can I find more information on this topic? I am confused on this.

Thanks a lot.

Activation is done by travelling into New Zealand. If your Residence Visa (RV) was issued overseas then a Resident Permit is granted upon arrival. It's not as complex as it sounds.

Just google, NZ Residence Visa & Residence Permit to know more about it.

When you arrive in NZ and show your passport at Immigration, the information goes into the INZ computer that your Residence is now activated. This also starts the clock running on the two years' travel conditions which come with the Residence visa.

While you are in NZ, the Residence visa, which gives you the right to live and work in New Zealand, can last for ever. The travel conditions give you the right to leave the country and re-enter at will, as many times as you wish, for two years, but after that time, when the travel conditions have run out, if you travelled outside NZ, your Residence visa would lapse because you would have no right to re-enter. HOWEVER, any time from two years after activation of your Residence visa, you can apply for Permanent Residence if you meet the requirements http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm, then you can come and go whenever you want.

Hi Sun777 and JandM,

Thanks for the information and I have a clear picture now.

Hi Sun777 and JandM,

Just a quick question on the fee charged for "Migrant Levy". I browsed Immigration NZ website and got to know the govt is charging 310$ per person. But this data has been updated on June-2013. Wanted to know the current scenario on how much SMC category people are charged for ML or the amount mentioned above still remains the same?

Awaiting for your response.

Thanks,
    Shankar

Use this http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/ex...96DF2B84F2.htm and you will get the up-to-date fee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast