Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EOI and experience

Default EOI and experience

Hi,
    This forum is helping me with tons of information thanks to all contributors. This might not be new to you but need your expertise and experience please. I am in in India and will be applying for EOI soon. My details are
    1) Qualification –
    a. Master Of Science (Computer Science) – English is the medium of education
    b. Bachelor of Science (Computer Science) – English is the Medium of education
    2) Work Experience – 11 + years all in ICT
    3) No NZ work experience
    My wife’s:
    1) Qualification –
    2) Master Of Science - Food and Nutrition -English is the medium of education
    Bachelor of Science - Food service management and dietetics - English is the medium of education
    3) Work Experience – 5 years
    4) No NZ work experience
    I can claim 60 points for my qualification and another 20 for my wife as in http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/47086.htm and for age I get 25.
    1) Can I claim point for “Do you have Qualification in any of NZ Identified future growth area and absolute skill shortage” please? My qualification is listed in Long term skill shortage list
    2) Also can I claim point for “Number of years of work experience in any one of NZ Identified future growth area and absolute skill shortage” please though I do not have NZ work experience?
    3) And points for work experience gained in a comparable labour market or area of absolute skills shortage? As stated above all by work experience are in Long term skill shortage list but experience are not from NZ.
    Only based on above 3 points I can decide on EOI.

Thanks in advance

The key to your success here will be whether or not your qualification from your university is an exact match for the ones listed in Appendix 3 (which you have obviously found). It will be your Bachelor Degree that matters for this - if the University and year are listed and also on the LTSSL then you can claim the bonus points for your qualification and for your work experience for AASS (you can't claim both AASS and IFGA). If your Masters is also listed, you can get the 60 points plus 10 for AASS. Without this, your qualification will need to be assessed by the NZQA and your work experience will not count at all unless the IQA comes back as equivalent to one on the LTSSL because it wasn't gained in a Comparable Labour Market (or you get an offer of employment in NZ). If your wife's degree is also on Appendix 3, then you can get the 20 points for her (assuming you have been partners for more than a year). By my calculations based on what you have said, this should give you 160 points.

Thanks for your Karen,
    For master degree certificate from University is printed as MASTRER OF SCIENCE in computer science awarded in 2002 which is an exact match but year in Appendix3 is 2003 and not 2002. Is this a concern? For my wife Master of Science is listed along with the university and year
    For Bachelor Degree it was in the year 2000 and printed as BACHELOR OF SCIECNE in COMPUTER SCIENCE which is listed in LTSSL but I do not see MASTER of SCIECNE.
    If this hold good then I should be eligible for 160 as you pointed out. Please clarify.

Hi Karen, to add I see 2 master of science in the list and mine should fall in 8 and may not be 9.

What is the University so I can check for myself and be sure?

Just had a quick general look at qualifications from India. The one that is most likely to get you the points for Long Term Skills Shortage (or AASS) is your Bachelor degree.Your masters probably needs to be awarded in or after 2003, so if you want the extra 10 points, you would need an IQA for this. For your wife, so long as she has a Level 7 (Bachelor degree) qualification or higher that is on the list for the right year for that University, you will get 20 points for her. Her work experience or Masters v Bachelor is irrelevant. If your Bachelor degree is an exact match then you would still have 150 points without the Masters and it is not worth spending the money ($74)6 and the time (about 8 weeks) getting an IQA for your Masters. If you are at or above the threshold, there is no advantage to having more points than this. If you are still confused, wait until you have made 5 posts and then send me a Private Message - I don't charge for this!

Many thanks Karen,

My university is Bharathidasan University for both Bachelor and master and is listed in http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/47086.htm. Bachelor of Science (Computer Science) was awarded on April 2000 and Master of Science (Computer Science) was in 2002. Year mentioned for my University are from 2003 onwards h is later. Shall I claim 50 points or have to get IQA for Bachelors and/or Master please.
    Last edited by nivas; 9th February 2015 at 07:36 PM.

Hi. You are going to need an IQA as Bachelor of Science is not listed at all for your University and Master of Science only if gained in or after 2003. You can get both the Masters and Bachelors degrees assessed at the same time for the same fee. https://secure.nzqa.govt.nz/for-qrs/...s-qar/login.do. It should take about 8 weeks. Good luck!

Thanks karen,

looks like I will not be able to file EOI now.. wil get IQA done first..

I know it's a bit of a delay, but it's better to get it right first time. In the long run, the delays can cost you more and take even longer if you don't do things in the right order.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast