Thread: What areas are self sufficient kind of people live?

Default What areas are self sufficient kind of people live?

hi guys.
    I'm so glad I found this site.
    I am an Aussie married to a Kiwi. Currently live in Australia. My husband is keen to move back to NZ, which I support. Admittedly, I am apprehensive. I have finally started living my dream of working towards self sufficiency. We have milking goats and cow, established vegetable and orchards. Also, well priced property meaning I'll be debt free in a few hrs.
    My question is, are there areas of NZ which have communities with a higher proportion of people working towards that kind of lifestyle? Also, what is average prices for liking goats and house cows, chickens etc?

From my research it seems NZ is easier to live this lifestyle than in Australia, but I need confirmation of this, from people who live there. I also, have never been to NZ, which doesn't help me.

Looking forward to chatting.

Lifestyle properties are very common in Nz. Pautahanui (25km North iof Wellington) gives you the advantage of the lifestyle without being out in the wop wops. But possibly expensive. As you don't indicate what you have to spend. Much cheaper in, say, Levin or Shannon, but would take you a while to get to anywhere.

I'm intrigued to what a house cow is ��

Thankyou for your reply.

We are happy to build from scratch as my husband is a builder. Looking for land of at least 10 acres. Or something with basic dwelling. Land up to $150,000 depending on size. A little more if basic dwelling on it.

A house cow is a milking cow trained to halter lead for milking.

And it's mostly for just the family's own needs.

Yes, mostly for my families needs. Also, if like minded families around to swap produce with etc.

Have a look at Trademe, and search on lifestyle - bare. That will give you a good idea. This search http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Cate...ch_suggested=0 returned 701 results. Most that hit your 10 acres requirement and $150k seem to be in the remoter regions where accessibility to services is not as good - e.g. Parts of the South Island's West coast and the most northerly extremes of the North Island. But that's part of a "lifestyle" choice I suppose.