Thread: Beachlands, Auckland?

Default Beachlands, Auckland?

Just wondering if anyone knows much about this suberb. Bit far out but we both work in South Auckland so that is fine for us. Just wondering what the School is like and if there's much of a community around it.

thanks
    D

We have yet to set foot in NZ but are moving to Auckland in a month or so.

Have you tried looking at properties on Trademe? In the home details page, click on the 'schools' tab in the page and schools for that area and a 'Decile Rating' are shown. This equates to the general income of the area (1 low to 10 high). We have been told to steer clear of Decile rates less than 5, but not sure how accurate this is. One thing is for sure, the higher the Decile rate for the school, the higher the house prices seem to be.

Also, we found it better to speak with locals too as some areas looked only 30 minutes from Auckland CBD but localse said in rush hour it would take over an hour.

Actually, just checked out Beachlands and schools are rated Decile 8 to 10, so high.

You can also get a ferry into the city (30 minutes from Half Moon Bay)

Quote Originally Posted by desmondo84 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone knows much about this suberb. Bit far out but we both work in South Auckland so that is fine for us. Just wondering what the School is like and if there's much of a community around it.

thanks
    D
    Last edited by relocate2014; 8th February 2015 at 06:41 AM.

cheers for that relocate. I also joined a local group in that area on facebook. Actually a good source of local info and gossip!

When I stayed in Manukau region when I first arrived several years ago, I thought Beachlands was a nice place - if somewhat isolated together with Maraetai away from the rest of the suburbs in Manukau. It was a 30 mins drive from Bucklands via Whitford.

There was a small area where you have a couple of shops, lots of parks and of course beaches and several piers. I imagine there is a strong community feel to it. And probably it's a great family-oriented suburb. By all means, if you like the place -live there. Beachlands is a little more affordable than the expensive, upmarket homes in Maraetai.

Oh, and I have just found out that there is a ferry to Auckland CBD from Beachlands (Pine Harbour) - 35 minutes each way.
    Last edited by relocate2014; 13th February 2015 at 05:17 AM.