Thread: Caught speeding on UK license in NZ

Default Caught speeding on UK license in NZ

Hello all!

Been here about a month and so far so good. Wife happy to be home, 6 year old daughter loving the space after London!!

So I just got caught speeding. I probably was over the limit but don't know by how much. Ticket says "alleged speed". There was none of the UK treatment of seeing the radar reading or having two officers present. I have a speed radar detector in my car which goes off at every sign of a camera (or microwave or automatic shop door). It did not go off.

So the first question is: is there any point contesting it? No witness, no physical proof.

Question two is when I convert to Nz license will the demerit points carry over?

Question three is: it says I need an NZ license within a year of arriving in NZ. If I leave he country for any amount of time, does the 12 months begin again?

On a side note, the office was quite aggressive in a totally unnecessary way. Made some sarcastic comment about the car as well. He went to his car for a good ten minutes and when he came back with the ticket he put it through the window, said "have a nice day" and that was that. I wanted to ask about the radar reading, what the ticket meant etc. oh well, not much different to over countries I suppose.

I'd be really grateful if anyone has insights on my 3 questions.

Simon

1. I think it would be a waste of time and energy to try to contest this. As you say, this is NOT the system you are used to. NZ places a lot of reliance on their police patrols to deal with issues at the roadside, and you've been dealt with by the officer using his own observation. You don't have anything on your side to put to a court beyond a feeling that you wish this hadn't happened.

2. Here's an old thread with varying experiences. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27151 That is from some time ago. I think it likely the points will be waiting for you, as enforcement of the rules of the road has been tightened up considerably in the last couple of years. As you will see here http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/resi...riving-nz.html, there is mention of the possibility of getting a suspension from driving for demerit points even on your foreign license, so a record must be being kept.

3. Yes, if you leave and then re-enter the country, it resets the clock for the 12 months. (That is mentioned on the previous link.)

Side note: the ten minutes in his car will have been spent checking out your personal details, and entering the information about the offense and penalty into the system. (Information gained from watching Police Ten 7.)

Like I said, they are really hot on speeding and DUI (not saying you did the latter) these days. It's worth taking care, because since the latest changes in immigration law people have been finding that they can have trouble when applying for PR because of driving offences.

Didnt transfer to my NZ licence when i got it was a blank sheet and i had been speeding on my UK licence but i did get a fine and they sent i to the UK to pay it lol But then it was 6 years ago. Laws may have changed now :-)

Didn't transfer mine, about 2.5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by sb_man View Post
    Hello all!

So the first question is: is there any point contesting it? No witness, no physical proof.

Simon
    No, it's a pretty rotten system and ripe for corruption; if a policeman accuses you of speeding it doesn't matter what speed you were doing, you can either pay the fine or lose in court.

Quote Originally Posted by sb_man View Post
    I have a speed radar detector in my car which goes off at every sign of a camera (or microwave or automatic shop door). It did not go off.
    On a side note, the office was quite aggressive in a totally unnecessary way. Made some sarcastic comment about the car as well. He went to his car for a good ten minutes and when he came back with the ticket he put it through the window, said "have a nice day" and that was that. I wanted to ask about the radar reading, what the ticket meant etc. oh well, not much different to over countries I suppose.
    The questions seem to have been answered above. On the side note, I guess they might have detected your speed radar and that could have resulted in the sarcasm. In terms of ticket, I understand you can get information on how much was your speed (probably via NZTA website by entering the ticket number).