Thread: Need advice on taking up post graduate diploma in it

Default Need advice on taking up post graduate diploma in it

Hi everyone,

I received an Unconditional Offer of Place at EIT for Post Graduate Diploma in IT, Level 8. I initially applied for the Graduate Diploma in IT, Level 7. However to my surprise, I was assessed a higher qualification instead.
    I don’t have a formal education in IT, but my previous jobs has zeroed me down to the Technical and Customer Support aspect of that field, plus the companies and years I have worked through could have led the school to grant me a higher level of qualification. I am thinking of staying on the Level 7 as I don’t need to bring a partner in NZ (one of the benefits of Level 8), and I think Level 7 is suffice, since I want to have a better grasp and foundation on the IT course.

But such opportunity is now presented and I would want to take advantage of the Level 8 course.

My concern now is regarding the STUDY TO WORK program.

1. Post Study Work Visa (open) – I believe this will be automatically granted given all the requirements are satisfied.
    2. Post Study Work Visa (employer sponsored) - here’s where my dilemma lies, so:

QUESTION: If I take Post Graduate Diploma in IT, do I need to get a JOB that is within the managerial position in IT (mid to high level management) or is it okay to land a rank and file job within the IT industry?

Based on what I have been reading, the job opportunities in the Level 7 and 8 in IT are somewhat overlapping in terms of job titles or even perhaps job scope. Except that some jobs under level 8 has a Managerial post attached to it.

Job titles are kinda similar to both, so I was thinking, should the competition for a managerial post would be stiff for a foreigner like me, perhaps I can land a rank and file job as long as it’s in the IT industry (ie if I take level 8)

I am really concerned if taking Level 8 would require me to be employed within the mid level or higher managerial posts in IT in order to be granted a 2 year extension of Post Study Work Visa.

Thank you for your replies!

Hi. If you feel you are ready to study at Post-Graduate level in IT then go for it! To get the Post-study employer-assisted visa, you need a job that is relevant to your NZ qualification. If the content of the Post-Grad Dip is about IT as opposed to being about IT Management, then you should be fine. If you have any doubts, talk to a member of the IT academic staff at EIT. Steve Corich is the HoD and he's a really nice guy. (I was head of IT at Bay of Plenty Polytechnic until 2012.) Good luck! If you are planning on starting in the forthcoming semester, don't wait too long!

Hi Karen!

I appreciate the prompt reply. I have been reading the course outline on EIT's website for the Level 8 course and it's got subjects on IT Management.

http://www.eit.ac.nz/wp-content/uplo...f?v=1423155964

Care to browse the link and let me know what you think? Given your expertise in this department and your advise would be very much appreciated.

I would love to talk to Steve Corich about it too, prolly sending an email would be good, but I don't know how to approach him or so. He might find me fishing for immigration advise as my questions would constitute such. Anyhow, I'll consider seeking his opinion too.

To be transparent, I completed a Bachelor Degree in Management, but my work experience on managerial posts is non-IT related, however jobs in customer and technical support are IT related.

OBTW, I was also checking Bay of Plenty Polytechnic, and I cannot seem to find a Level 7 Graduate Diploma course.

Hi. Looking at the course content of the Post Grad Dip and reading again what you have said about your own background, I do wonder if the Grad Dip (Level 7) would be a better option for you. You can find Steve's email address or that of Frina Abertyn , the Head of School in the staff directory section of EIT website. If it helps, feel free to say that it was suggested that you discuss the best programme in your situation by Karen Phillips, formerly of BoP Poly. I am sure neither would mind. This isn't about immigration advice, and neither of them would be allowed to give immigration advice as such. Even with the Level 7, you would still be entitled to the post study visas. The only down-side to Level 7, would be if you were hoping to take a partner with you or have children who wanted domestic fee school education. One other thought, with your background and your NZ qualification, you could go straight form Post-study work visa - open to SMC residence or an Essential skills work visa which would widen the scope of suitable jobs. When i was at Bop P Poly we initially ran a Unite degree in Computing Systems (the same one as EIT ran at the time) and then we added the United Grad Dip (same as EIT). However, EIT then went on their own and soon after BoP Poly formed its strategic alliance with University of Waikato and had ot drop the Grad Dip _ lots of boring reasons behind this. Hope that helps.

Cool!

The Level 8 could play well should I bring my partner with me, but right now it's not possible. I am looking for that opportunity to get a ticket towards residency and this student path is my best case right now. It's a matter of how I will fare with my studies and eventually landing a job related to the qualification I will complete.

Thanks Karen, will let you know how it turns out!

Oh, I know this would be off topic and such, but would you mind recommending me other schools that offer great programs on Graduate Diploma in IT (Level 7)ncourse? I have been looking at NTEC, UCOL and UNITEC. I have no preference as to location, so please if you can list down or recommend a few worth checking out.

Hi Depending on which city you prefer to study. In Auckland you can search AMES and Whitereia.
    Cheers

If you want a good quality Grad Dip in IT, you could look in Auckland at Unitec, AUT, (www.aut.ac.nz), AIS (www.ais.ac.nz), Wintec (Hamilton) www.wintec.ac.nz. Whitieria (Wellington). AMES does not offer Graduate Diplomas to the best of my knowledge. You could also look at Christchurch Poly (www.cpit.ac.nz) and Otago Polyechnic (www.op.ac.nz) and Nelson and Marlborough (www.nmit.ac.nz). There may be others, but I don't know anything about them. I would browse the content, look at locations and also international fees and start dates. You probably won't get a visa in time for many of the February start dates now - you may not be planning this. Some have other start dates thoughout the year. If yuo need to talk, feel free to send me a Private Message. I don't charge for advice!