Thread: Residence visa via partnership application

Default Residence visa via partnership application

I am preparing to lodge an residence visa application under the partnership category. I have several queries and tried to ring up INZ a couple of times today but annoyingly none of my calls received an answer. Any information anyone on this forum will be able to provide will be greatly appreciated!

I am currently on a student visa which is expiring at the end of next month. I also have to submit a police certificate, medical certificate and chest X-Ray for my student visa renewal as the previous ones I submitted 3 years ago will no longer be valid. My question is would it be better to submit my PC, MC & chest x-ray with my student visa renewal or my residence visa application? I am assuming that as long as INZ has a copy of my records from either application they will be able to refer to it for the other? Also, does it matter whether I submit my residence visa application before or after my student visa renewal?

My next query is whether or not the Palmerston North INZ branch handles residence visa application. Looking at their webpage, it seems that they cater more to student visas. Does this mean my application will get forwarded to a diffeent branch? If so, can I just submit my application directly to branches that process residence visa applications? Another thing is that looking at the different INZ branches' information page, Hamilton seems to have the shortest time (four months) it takes for applications to receive a case officer. Since I am based in Palmerston North, would it matter if I submitted my application directly to this branch?

So far the "evidence" I have collated include a timeline, tenancy agreement (one year and for another coming one year period), bank transactions, utility bills (under my name but to common residence), photos, air travel tickets for an upcoming trip, written statements from friends, personal letters addressed to our common residence, special occassion cards to each other, and e-mail correspondances to each other during my gap semester. I'd be super greateful if someone could point out whether I am missing anything important or something that could help with the application.

Lastly, what is the success rate of partnership based residence visa applications? What are the common reasons an application may be rejected?

Sorry for this lengthy post but whatever information that can be offered will be appreciated!

Default Here to help

Hello

My husband just got residence under the partnership catagory a fortnight ago now.
    I may not be able to help with all your questions but i can try my best .

In the case of which visa you should submit first i would say your student visa as this sounds like a bigger priority time wise as a residence application can take up to a full 9 months to process. You medical info you would have lodged with your new student visa will then be applied and updated to your residency application apon them receiving it. But yes my advise get your renew student visa done first.

On the question of which branch takes the quickest time this is merely are luck thing. I know in the last year inz have changed their structure of processing alot for all branches and in particular for the residence visa on basis of partnership. Its probably the one of, if not the hardest visas to obtain now with any branch . In my opinion lodging it at any branch would be acceptable.

In the basis of evidence its would probably be no use to show "future" evidence i.e like the additional one year tenancy agreement you speak of or the up and comming holiday u have. The only things they will look at is past and current as the futute is not predicted and they wont take that into consideration.
    Things we included for my husbands application was:
    Utility bills
    Bank statements
    Marriage cirtificate from morocco
    Marriage renewal certificate from NZ authorized by a JP who conducted our small ceremony
    All our rental contracts from past landlords to current in NZ
    Authorization letter to live together in morocco authorized by local authority
    Letters from family
    Letters from friends
    Our facebook photos, main page screen shots for public recognition
    Emails and letters for comminication proof while we were away from each other
    Holidays we had done together
    Letter from doctor that we attend the same practice
    Photos of our home and assets in our home

These are just things i can think of from the top of my head sorry

And to your last question on the success rate . This can only be defined by the amount of stable evidence you provide. Each immigration officer will open your file and have the mind set that your relationship is not true. And you have to prove them wrong. The evidence is not just looked at by one officer but by two so they can be sure you are sincere. Also have no expectations on how long the process will take. From experiecne it will take a long time so just make sure your current visas are up to date by at least a year to help the residency process go faster. Your phone interview with your officer will also be interesting as they ask a series of questions that only true couples will know. I cant tell you the exact questions they will ask you because there are hundreds.

If you do have any more questions in the future feel free to keep in touch and i wish u all the best

Quote Originally Posted by alow View Post
    I am preparing to lodge an residence visa application under the partnership category. I have several queries and tried to ring up INZ a couple of times today but annoyingly none of my calls received an answer. Any information anyone on this forum will be able to provide will be greatly appreciated!

I am currently on a student visa which is expiring at the end of next month. I also have to submit a police certificate, medical certificate and chest X-Ray for my student visa renewal as the previous ones I submitted 3 years ago will no longer be valid. My question is would it be better to submit my PC, MC & chest x-ray with my student visa renewal or my residence visa application? I am assuming that as long as INZ has a copy of my records from either application they will be able to refer to it for the other? Also, does it matter whether I submit my residence visa application before or after my student visa renewal?

My next query is whether or not the Palmerston North INZ branch handles residence visa application. Looking at their webpage, it seems that they cater more to student visas. Does this mean my application will get forwarded to a diffeent branch? If so, can I just submit my application directly to branches that process residence visa applications? Another thing is that looking at the different INZ branches' information page, Hamilton seems to have the shortest time (four months) it takes for applications to receive a case officer. Since I am based in Palmerston North, would it matter if I submitted my application directly to this branch?

So far the "evidence" I have collated include a timeline, tenancy agreement (one year and for another coming one year period), bank transactions, utility bills (under my name but to common residence), photos, air travel tickets for an upcoming trip, written statements from friends, personal letters addressed to our common residence, special occassion cards to each other, and e-mail correspondances to each other during my gap semester. I'd be super greateful if someone could point out whether I am missing anything important or something that could help with the application.

Lastly, what is the success rate of partnership based residence visa applications? What are the common reasons an application may be rejected?

Sorry for this lengthy post but whatever information that can be offered will be appreciated!

You don't have the choice over where to submit your application - the INZ site tells you. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/ex...96DF2B84F2.htm

In any case, the workload within INZ offices is in a state of constant flux, and individual applications are SO individual, requiring different amounts of work, that therefore comparisons with what happened to other cases in the past are no reliable predictor of what will happen to yours. INZ routinely moves work around to other branches if one happens to have spare capacity for a time. THEY want to get cases finished quickly, and they have an overview that applicants don't have.

Thank you for sharing your past experience with me. Much appreciated

Hi JandM

A quick question for you. About 2yrs ago in response to a question about possible separation of a relationship during residence visa you replied:

Once a person is granted Residence, they HAVE Residence, regardless of the reason they were given it in the first place, and can move on to Permanent Residence after a minimum of two years if they qualify for it in one of the ways mentioned on this last link Sun777 has given. In the case here, the partnership was proved in the past as the reason for granting Residence, but it doesn't have to be proved to be still in existence any more - the principle applicant IS a resident in his own right.

I'd like to ask if this is still valid today, in 2015?; that If the principal applicant, partner of a NZ citizen is still on their residence visa but the relationship breaks up, can they still apply for PR? If they originally applied for residence under partner category from a sponsored work visa? Is the PR dependent on that relationship? Many thanks

That still stands, just as I stated it there. A person who applied for Residence on their own application (not someone who was a secondary applicant on someone else's application), and has it granted, can then go on to qualify for PR. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm It does not matter if the reason INZ granted the application was sponsorship from their then partner, rather than work-related qualifications and experience.

Would one need to inform INZ if the relationship did end prior to applying for PR?

No.

On the PR application form, there's a part asking your relationship status.
    I got RV under partnership, and I broke up with my ex before I got PR.
    When I applied for PR, I informed INZ of my breakup, they questioned me a couple of things such as when we broke up, why we broke up. They said they just need the info for the record. I got PR the same day.

hypothesis

It's good to hear someone with experience of this, thank you for your reply.

Just double checking....
    Were you married to your ex? and he was/is a NZ citizen? In other words you were the principal applicant for your RV application?