Thread: 1-year partnership-based work visa

Default 1-year partnership-based work visa

Hi everyone

I received a partnership-based work visa valid for one year in January. Since I've started applying to jobs, I'm getting a mixed bag of reactions from people. I've now heard from two recruiters that I'm basically only eligible for temp or fixed-term roles. What have others in my situation faced? I intend to renew this visa before it expires (with the help of an immigration consultant that I hired to even get this visa), so why are employers so wary? I'm engaged to a citizen, we plan on staying here. How do you overcome this?

Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom.

I think the recruiters are covering themselves with the employers who are their clients - they're afraid that they could be blamed if you took a permanent position then DIDN'T get a further visa, so leaving the employer in the lurch.

The fact remains that there are hundreds of people in the same circumstances as you who HAVE been put forward for permanent positions. And people who hold a work visa in their own right have to renew their visas periodically - they have their job offer in the first place despite the fact that the work visa will run out.

The answer to this probably comes down to talking hard till you convince somebody, and/but you won't convince everybody.

All the best.