Thread: General Visitors visa for my partner to come visit me but my situation...

Question General Visitors visa for my partner to come visit me but my situation...

Hi guys,

Can anyone please advice me on my situation here. I want to apply a visitors visa at the maximum of 9 months for her to come visit me and begin the process of living together. We've known each other for 2 years and keep contacting each other through skype viber and facebook. I went visit her for a month late 2014 and we were pretty much living together and did a lot of traveling together too. We've got all the photos and stuffs.

I have heard all about the visa under partnership type that if we were to apply for that one, we need to show that we have lived together and stuffs. 1 month that i went visit her and live with her wouldn't be enough, so i decided to go with a general visitors visa first to begin the process of living together.

Now the problem is, to apply for a visitors visa, my partner need to show INZ the proof that she plan to leave new zealand when the visa expires. I am not sure if it is needed in my situation here. Of cos if needed, I will send her back when the visa expires (otherwise I will apply for another type of visa) but I am not sure if she need to prove that plan to leave when the visa expires.
    By the way, she will have to resign her current job when she get to come to New Zealand because her boss will not allow her to take such long holiday. She has got a house inherit from her mother though.

So really, my question is does she need to provide proof that shows she plans to leave new zealand when the visa expires and if so, what sort of proof?

We have got all the money and everything else sorted but only this one here.

Please help guys!
    Last edited by kenny123; 13th February 2015 at 01:44 PM.

From http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...isit/visitors/

Proof that you plan to leave New Zealand
    You will need to show us that you intend to leave within the period of your visa. For example:
    travel tickets (confirmed or open-dated) out of New Zealand to a country which you have the right to enter; or
    written confirmation from an airline or travel agency that onward travel has been booked and paid for.

Any non-refundable travel arrangements are made at your own risk as the outcome of your application cannot be guaranteed.
    ???

Yes, she has to have an onward ticket for immigration to see, regardless of her intentions to stay. Some people have managed to get the kind of ticket where the unused portion is refundable in due course.

@JandM: So are you saying that I should not need to present any other proof beside booking the flight ticket in advance? If so, how would I know when to book the flight in and out?

I think you would stand a chance of getting a partnership-based visitor visa. This way, you would provide what evidence you have of your time together but your partner would only need a one-way ticket. This visa is usually for 9 months. After 3 months you could apply to change this to a work visa and then before that expires you can apply for residence.

@Karen Phillips: is this one you are talking about? http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd.../0/INZ1199.pdf

If so, it says on top of the page that only if you're intended to marry your partner.

Hi. You have the right visa type - but there are several sections to it. The one to which you refer is the "Culturally Arranged Marriage" section. You are simply applying for a visa under a different section that allows your partner to visit you and then, once in NZ, start gathering the evidence that you are partners in line with immigration policy. After around 3 months in NZ, your partner can apply for a partnership based work visa. You need to complete forms INZ1198 and INZ1146. It would be best if your partner had a medical and chest x-ray and also provide a police check. Provide as much evidence as you have of your partnership including time together and communication between you when you are apart. Write a good cover letter to explain the circumstances. Maybe get a testimonial or two from people who know you to be partners. Don't apply for a work visa for your partner right now as it is almost certain you wouldn't get it. If you need furthr help, feel free to send me Private Message (once you have made 5 posts).