Thread: Applying for VISA while in New Zealand on vacation?

Default Applying for VISA while in New Zealand on vacation?

Hi there,

I already used the search function, but didn't find anything - although my question probably is a rather easy one (I hope! :-):

My points count is beyond 140, and I qualify for a Skilled Migrant Visa. However, since my boyfriend is moving to New Zealand in March (on a skilled migrant visa - and no, we don't qualify for partner visa), I was planning to just go with him on a tourist visa and apply on site for my visa (there is a reason I didn't apply online yet - I just finished my second master degree and am still waiting for the certificate).

The question is: can I just walk into the immigration office in Wellington, have all my documentation ready and apply there? (or do that online, of course, but while being in New Zealand)? Has anyone done that and knows whether it's technically allowed or not?

I consulted the immigration webpage and couldn't find anything that speaks against it - they even allow you to enter a NZ address in the form. But then, somebody in a facebook group mentioned something like 'they fine you if you enter the country on a holiday VISA with the intention to apply for a visa". Sounds implausible to me, but confused me enough to ask you guys.

Would be glad if one of you knows more.

Thanks a lot,
    Nikelita

You can certainly apply in the usual way but while in New Zealand - online EOI and then submit paper application to the nearest INZ office to where you are staying. However, although I know you have a visa waiver for 3 months as a German citizen, you would have to purchase a return ticket if you do this because the visa-waiver is for people wanting a short holiday or visit before returning to their own country. Without a visa that says you don't need a return ticket, you may well not be allowed to board the flight and even if you did , there is a possibility of being refused entry at the border. You might be able to get a temporary partner visa if you have lived together for three months.