Thread: UK and NZ Pensions and Tax

Default UK and NZ Pensions and Tax

Hi.
    Im a kiwi who has lived and worked in the UK (paying UK tax and National Insurance) since 1990.
    Im looking to make the move back to NZ (with my English OH) in the next couple of years but am very confused re the tax/pension thing.
    Due to having had several jobs since Ive been here (and not with them all having a workplace pension scheme) I have 4 pension pots (including the one Im paying in to now with my current job).
    So, I want to know what I will be entitled to when I retire in NZ (Im currently 48). I know I will have these 4 pensions, but what happens to all the NI I have been paying in the UK, do I get any of that back as a UK pension?

Also, would it more straightforward to keep a bank account in the UK for these to be paid into?
    In an ideal world we would keep our joint current account that we have in the UK and get both of out pensions paid into that (OH will be drawing a UK state pension until he is eligible for the NZ one), but then we would have to have someone here dealing with card renewals etc.

Any advice on how we would stand from an entitlement and tax point of view would be gratefully received.

Thanks
    Kiwijo

I'm NOT a financial adviser, but from personal experience, I would look into combining your 4 pension pots into one - AFAIK all personal pension plans charge fees so 4 pensions = 4 lots of fees. Combining them = 1 fee. You can either leave this/these pensions in the UK or move them into a QROPS approved NZ pension.
    WRT to the state pension, last time I looked (which was a while ago) NZ will add to your UK state pension entitlement to make sure you get the minimum a NZer would get - but no idea how long you have to have paid income tax in NZ to qualify for this. I'm looking at at least 3 decades of toil once we reach NZ so am hoping this is enough, you may be nearer retirement.

Thanks Frootbat.
    I left NZ when I was 23 having left school and started work at 18, so have paid 5yrs worth.
    Am hoping to be back in NZ by the time Im 50 (have just truned 48), so still have a bit of time to qualify and get pensions moved etc. OH, who is a Brit is 59, so his will need to be sorted a bit earlier than mine as he wont get NZ Super for a while.