Thread: Moved from UK to NZ - Now looking for work

Smile Moved from UK to NZ - Now looking for work

Hello,

I have just moved from the UK to Auckland in December 2014. I am now looking for work. I have registered with the Chamber of Commerce who provide a free 3 day course for new migrants who are looking for work. I am French citizen but for the last 10 years I have been living and working in the UK as an Administration (EA/PA). Although I did my University studies in France, I studied in UK with the Institute of administrative management and obtained a diploma in business and administrative management in 2013.

I have been looking into the possibility of having my qualifications converted to NZ equivalent. As this is quite an expensive process I was wondering if anyone had any advice with regards to this: is it worth doing? Will this have a huge positive impact on my chances in obtaining work? I have also considered doing a NZ diploma that corresponds to my work my work experience. I haven't made up my mind yet but would greatly appreciate advice from anyone who has been situation.

Many thanks in advance for your comment and input.

G

What is your visa situation? This may have a bearing on replies.

I had my French and UK qualifications verified by the NZ system so I have the NZ equivalent.
    I think it's useful, but I think it's your experience that get's you the job. Having the qualification ticks the box so you'll be considered for the position!

Have you spoken to a recruitment agency? I'd ask them. Or what's the advice from the Chamber of Commerce? Or other job services for migrants.

Hell,

Thank you for you replies. I have got a resident visa.
    I haven't meet with the advisors from the Chamber of Commerce, i will meet them next week. I spoke to a lady from one recruitment agency that said that as i already have about 10 years experience this can be seen more valuable than having my qualifications converted to NZ equivalent. At he moment i haven't taken a decision yet, i am still debating.

Previously on the forum, people arriving in NZ have said that their past experience, with references from former employers, was what was important to NZ employers. Checking qualifications is more what INZ does.