Thread: Whale Watching in Kaikoura

Default Whale Watching in Kaikoura

Booooooo! Nobody under 3 allowed on the boat. Oh well, can't believe I'm surprised by how expensive it is either.

I did this trip on my last visit to NZ, and it ranks with The Best experiences of my whole life, so I don't begrudge the expense.

But they're right not to allow small children. The boat is fast and nippy, and at times they can say to passengers, 'Hold on - we've just heard from one of the other boats there are whales on the surface and we're going to join them,' and they're OFF. At one such time, I sat down hard on the deck rather than fly over the rail, and I wouldn't have wanted to try to be responsible for anyone but myself right then. Another thing is that you go quite far out from shore over the deep water trench, and the sea's motion can be unpredictable - VERY choppy on top of the normal ocean swell. A lot of people got seasick.

Thanks for the info as we're off to touring the South Island again next month and plan to visit Kaikoura and see whales.

This will be our second attempt as our first (in 1998 by light aircraft) ended in failure when it started to rain... And the civil aviation rules prevent whale watching while it's raining.

Hoping that the light aircraft whale watching is still possible as I feel sick just looking at boats in heavy seas.

There are two companies doing planes (about the same cost as the boat) and one doing helicopters (significantly higher cost).

Sorry to hear your little one couldn't go on, but like rogercruse we're looking forward to going...we're saving up now

Quote Originally Posted by wellywearer View Post
    Sorry to hear your little one couldn't go on, but like rogercruse we're looking forward to going...we're saving up now
    I saw a southern right whale in Wellington once. Quite bizarre doing a spot of whale watching out of the kitchen window.

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    I saw a southern right whale in Wellington once. Quite bizarre doing a spot of whale watching out of the kitchen window.
    that would be cool!
    I've yet to see any interesting wildlife in Wellington harbour, but we have a great view from work and binoculars so I'm ready!!!