Thread: Public Transit (Car Free Living) & Access to paddling/trekking in Nelson VS Wellington.

Default Public Transit (Car Free Living) & Access to paddling/trekking in Nelson VS Wellington.

I do hope this thread does not annoy admins, I have searched and searched and haven't found quite the answers I'm looking for.

I will be moving to NZ from Vancouver, Canada (originally from Toronto) in less than a year on a Working Holiday Visa. My skills vary, but plan to find work in a kitchen (sweet side of things) or in outdoor rec (avid paddler). Auckland sounds like a Kiwi's version of Vancouver - and not interested in moving there. I love the outdoors (with easy access where I don't have to plan ahead to enjoy), and normally an introvert who loves to read, craft, and cook. I'm quite frugal and live within my means. I've heard Vancouver is expensive, difficult to find a job, with high rents.. blah blah. True for most, but not for me. Not because I make much money, but because my expectations of what is living well is less than what most people around me expect. I rent a cozy bachelor in a quiet neighbourhood for $750/month and really happy with it. I know rent is by the week there, would I be able to find similar rent rates in Nelson or Wellington (so about $200 a week for a bachelor)?

Also, I make frequent trips by bus (and ferry) to access the outdoors. A reasonable commute for me to access mountains or fun coast to paddle in is anywhere from 1-2.5 hour commute one way. I can get to some pretty awesome hiking with a couple buses in about 2 hours, or take a ferry to the Sunshine Coast in about the same time with some beautiful sites to paddle. Of course, I'm not opposed to renting a car once in a while to access some places further out, but prefer to have some scenic, fun trekking/paddling close by that I could do on a whim on the weekend or even a quickie after work.

With that in mind... how is it living in Nelson?
    - Do you need a car to get around in the city? Seems quite walkable to me. Sometimes I walk to work (a 1.5-2 hour walk) which to me is reasonable and enjoyable. But on days I need to get there quickly, could I rely on a bus?
    - Do I need a car to get to those National parks Nelsonites (sp?) brag about? Are there buses that will take you to these areas? If after work I wanted to go for a two hour paddle, could I easily do so living in Nelson (and without a car)?

living in Wellington:
    - It seems a bit more crowded and concrete than Nelson - how easy is it to access some beautiful trekking or paddling spots (not a fan of paddling in the harbour surrounded by buildings - but wouldn't mind it once in a while if I was craving a paddle after work).
    - I consider Vancouver (and even Toronto) VERY walkable - would Wellington also be very walkable? Is it really as cold and damp as people say? Vancouver is pretty cold and damp in the winter as well - which is why I'm leaning towards Nelson.
    - How easy is it to access some great hikes from Wellington? Do you need a car or will buses take you to the foot of some trails?

I apologize for being so wordy. Basically, with what I wrote about myself, would any of you consider either place doable for a car-free, outdoors type person?

Am I missing anywhere else? I will likely visit both when I first arrive, but just want to get some more insight. Mercie
    Last edited by Hill; 18th February 2015 at 08:12 PM.

Here's my take:

Wellington is a proper city, albeit a small one. Nelson is a large town. I find both extremely walkable. Both are hilly but hills mean you save money on the gym.

Wellington has the kind of public transport that a real city should have. It is relatively reliable, affordable and can take you as far afield as Kapiti or Wairarapa. The cost of flying in and out of Welly is much more affordable than Nelson. Is Wellington more concrete than Nelson? Probably because it is bigger but describing it as "concrete" really doesn't fit. It's a beautiful green place. I don't live there but I know there is just as much to do outdoors in the region as there is in Nelson. Having a higher population means you will also have better access to second hand items. Although it's not a cheap city, there is more opportunity to find a bargain. There are also way more opportunities for employment in Welly. Nelson/Tasman has notoriously low wages. I think with a little luck, patience, and looking, you'll be able to find a decent place to live for 200pw in both places. The question will be whether or not working in Nelson will make that affordable with all of the other things you'd like to do.

Nelson has a bus system. It is ok. It isn't that well priced for what it is. There are shuttles and various bus lines that can take you to the national parks but are not part of a transportation system like Welly. Trek Express and The Heaphy Track Bus are two off the top of my head. Nelson/Tasman has a wonderful bike trail that goes from Nelson to Kaiteriteri (with a few road parts and rough patches that are regularly being improved). The variety of beaches and things to do within a 2 hour drive in Nelson are amazing. From the Marlborough Sounds at one end to Abel Tasman and Golden Bay at the other, Tasman Bay has a wide variety of beaches and estuaries to explore. The several mountain regions surrounding both ends of Tasman Bay are stunning. I think it would be difficult to really explore the region fully without a car.

Both have beautiful places to paddle. The transient Orca pod that lives in New Zealand frequents both areas. There are amazing sea birds in both places and lots of areas to explore native bush. Tasman has the lowest population density in NZ. There are a lot of places to find isolation; it's never really busy, even when it's busy.

Good luck!
    Last edited by kiwieagle; 21st February 2015 at 09:11 AM.

You can see penguins though when you are kayaking in Wellington harbour.

Penguins... orcas... I'm really looking forward to the New Zealand fauna! Although I live in Vancouver, the orca's rarely come close enough to the area - so if living there doubles my chances it sounds like the right place to be. Thanks Kiwieagle, lots of great insight. Much appreciated. Doesn't help me make a decision at all since both still sound great. I figured finding a job in nelson wouldn't be easy, and I read somewhere else jobs are difficult to come by at the moment. Although, I didn't know rates would be much lower - good to keep in mind. I keep leaning towards trying out Nelson first and using Wellington as my safety. The trails and coast around Nelson just look incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hill View Post
    Although I live in Vancouver, the orca's rarely come close enough to the area - so if living there doubles my chances it sounds like the right place to be.
    I would recommend you have a look at the Center for Whale Research: http://www.whaleresearch.com/ and Orca Network: http://www.orcanetwork.org/Main/. These two groups document the three pods, the transient pod, and the offshore pod in your location. The Orca Network facebook page sends out alerts at all sightings in the area. Maybe you'll see some before you go.

Although a very small population (less than 200), the NZ Orca often come very close to shore. We've seen them in our bay several times because they hunt rays (NZ orca are the only orca known to do this). A mother and a young juvenile will come right up to shore in the shallow part while you can see the big males out a bit further with their towering dorsals. They'll even go into Waimea Inlet chasing rays. After they are gone, when the tide goes out the shore is littered with dead sting ray. You can also see them in Wellington Harbour. So, that doesn't really help your decision!

Thanks again kiwieagle, that's some interesting info. I'll be sure to look into it. The orca's have come to the harbour once in a blue moon here, but never when I'm out paddling. It's nice to know the Orca population there has the same appetite for rays as I do. Nothing like fresh ray stewed in some tomato sauce. You are still not helping me narrow down my decision. However, I just found out that Wellington got it's first Ethiopian restaurant last year... and I love my kitfo. A pull factor in the other direction now. :S

So you wouldn't say Welly feels concrete? I looked at many youtube videos and a few make it look quite drab. You did say that the buses there can take me a ways way out of Welly if I need to get out. Of course, I can always rent a car on the weekend. Or do you say "hire a car" over there? Then there are the fjords on the North tip of the South Island.. sigh... they look incredible! I can't wait to paddle around Picton.
    Last edited by Hill; 24th February 2015 at 07:16 PM.