Thread: NZ customs

Red face NZ customs

Hi all,

I have just moved into my house in a new neighbourhood. My closest neighbour is very nice. One day, she came with some food on a plate for me as she had cooked excess. I have accepted the plate and ate it (delicious!). I have washed the plate and about to return to her. I would like to know what is the NZ's custom in such situation. How should I "return the gift"? Kind of odd for me to return an empty plate to her???

It would be considered nice to bake some biscuits, scones or something sweet or savoury to return on the plate - we have done that in the past for friends who shared their cooking.

Or maybe you have something from your garden to give - fruit/vegetables/flowers?

You got some really nice neighbors ! Reminded me of one of our Korean neighbors in Greenlane, they bought a house besides ours (rental property) and first day dropped by with cake. We sent them home made cookies back

Red face NZ customs

Err....I can't bake, just moved into my house....there is nothing in my garden.....can I just buy some fruits?????

Quote Originally Posted by Bugsyjnr View Post
    Err....I can't bake, just moved into my house....there is nothing in my garden.....can I just buy some fruits?????
    Invite your neighbours round for a drink maybe. Tea, coffee, alcohol, whatever suits.

Mow the grass?
    Walk the dog?

I'm sure your neighbour probably isn't expecting a 'return' favour but I understand your wishes to

Big smile and sincere thanks go a long way

Thank you note - for being so neighbourly and welcoming

Make sure the returned plate is clean