Thread: Get rid of blackbirds that are nesting my roof space

Default Get rid of blackbirds that are nesting my roof space

........we've got a young family of blackbirds nesting in our roof space. god they make a hell of a noise.

How do we get rid of them, and does anyone know how long it takes from birth to departure.. If it's just going to be a couple of day we may leave them be, if not we may to take "punative measures"

I believe it's 10 - 14 days... earplugs?

They might be starlings. Either way, after the little ones fledge and leave (a few weeks perhaps), you ought to block any entrances to the attic. Mesh screen would work well if they're entering through a vent. I do not recommend trapping them inside or otherwise causing their demise in such a way that their corpses remain, or stench will replace squawks.

Dont worry, sealing them in is not an option, I could not be that cruel. We think we know where they are getting in as well, so thats easy enough solved once they are gone.

If they could just tweet a bit quieter

Quote Originally Posted by jubjub
    If they could just tweet a bit quieter
    If they're starlings, dream on. They are terribly noisy and obnoxious. Are you sure there are eggs/nestlings already? It seems a bit early in the season. If there aren't, perhaps you could chase off the adults and seal up the attic now.

Definitely babies, you hear them squawking louder when mum or dad bring food in. We have heard noises a few mornings, but thought they were outside on the tin roof, turns out they were nesting, inside.

We have had to move to the spare bedroom, as they are nested right above our normal bed!

Never mind, we shall let them fledge, only about 10 days to go at most, then get the roof sealed up.

Have not got the heart to take a mummys babies off her..... karma and all that.....