Thread: Long Term Skilled Shortage Work Permit vs Talent (Accredited Employer) work permit

Default Long Term Skilled Shortage Work Permit vs Talent (Accredited Employer) work permit

Hi All,

Have a couple of questions around the type of work permit to go for.

1. My job profile (IT Infrastructure/Systems Analyst) comes under the LTSS work category. However, my job-offer comes from an accredited employer, which makes me eligible for the Talent (Accredited Employer) work permit. Which is a better option? I was looking up the immigration web portal and noticed that if I am having an accredited employer work permit, I can change companies and go for accredited work employers only. Options to go for non-accredited employers would require additional paperwork. Is there any advantage for going for this accredited employer work permit? Does it accelerate the process to get a work permit? Does it help in the residence application down the line?

2. For both LTSS and Talent (accredited employer) work permits, the website says that one could apply for a permanent residency after 2 years on this work permit. I do hear cases where folks have applied for a permanent resident status within a few months of getting this work permit. Have the rules changed recently? Is the website content out-dated?

1. Either kind of a visa is a temporary work visa, and will be specific to the employer who has offered the job, so that if you want to move on, you will have to re-do your visa to get it to apply to a subsequent job.

Getting a work visa if you have an offer from an accredited employer is easier than for one who is not accredited, in that the boss has already proved to INZ that he has openings for skilled foreigners (so that part of the evidence concern is not on the shoulders of the applicant). (That is ALL that 'accredited' means - they're not somehow better than other employers.) Otherwise, neither visa has any particular advantage. If you were to get a good offer from a non-accredited employer, it may well be worth your while to go through the small extra effort.

2. Sometimes, people get a work permit who would not immediately be eligible for Residence under SMC. Those people become eligible after spending two years on their work permit. For anyone who is eligible under SMC already, but who first goes for the work permit to get to NZ and start in their new job as quickly as possible, there is nothing to stop them putting in for Residence whenever they want to - at the same time as the work permit, if they wish, which has the advantage that a lot of the evidence can be used in both applications.

Great answer! Thanks!

Just a couple of things to add to JandM's excellent answer. If you use the Accredited Employer route, there is a minimum salary requirement of $55,000 but if you are on $90,000, then after the two years you can apply straight for Permanent Residence, thus missing out the two years on residence. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30628.htm. On an LTSSL visa or Accredited employer with a salary below $90K you can go on to a Residence visa after two years and then tow years later to Permanent residence. Accredited employer applications are prioritised in terms of processing time. Also, bear in mind that you can only apply under the LTSSL category if your qualifications match those in Column 4 of the Long Term Skills Shortage List for your occupation. See http://skillshortages.immigration.go...stems-analyst/

Hello Karen, JandM

The Talent (Accredited Employer) work permit was issued to me on 30 May 2015. I intend to use that to arrive in NZ in middle of August. Post which, (provided things are agreeable to me and my wife), we would want to go for the permanent residence. My salary in NZ would be more than $100K/year.

Since I already have some documents which could be re-used, like police certificates, medical certificates etc. can I apply for an SMC residence visa immediately? Or should I wait to land in NZ before starting with it?

Or is it a good idea to stay put and wait for 2 years and then apply for the residence program?

Thoughts?

Bengaboy

You can apply immediately if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    You can apply immediately if you want to.
    ...but it would take longer to get permanent residence if you do.

Ian

It would be quicker to get residence if you apply under SMC (but it would cost more). Permanent Residence comes two years after you get to NZ on your WTR or with your SMC residence in place - so the time difference between waiting to go through the 2 years on WTR is not great. Because you are on WTR: Accredited Employer and on your salary, you can go straight to Permanent Residence without going through SMC and without Residence in between. The main disadvantage is that you are tied to the WTR job for two years rather than 3 months if you have residence via SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    Just a couple of things to add to JandM's excellent answer. If you use the Accredited Employer route, there is a minimum salary requirement of $55,000 but if you are on $90,000, then after the two years you can apply straight for Permanent Residence, thus missing out the two years on residence. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30628.htm. On an LTSSL visa or Accredited employer with a salary below $90K you can go on to a Residence visa after two years and then tow years later to Permanent residence. Accredited employer applications are prioritised in terms of processing time. Also, bear in mind that you can only apply under the LTSSL category if your qualifications match those in Column 4 of the Long Term Skills Shortage List for your occupation. See http://skillshortages.immigration.go...stems-analyst/
    Hi everyone, I am 2 days away from applying for my residence visa (I'm on a LTSS work visa) and I am over the salary threshold of $90k per the above but my employer isn't acredited. Does that mean there's no ability to skip straight to permanent residence? I assume it does, however confirmation from some of the more knowlegable people on here would be awesome. I tried searching the links above and can't find anything about salary bands and permanent residence.

Here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#45651.htm are the instructions for the LTSS Residence visa. And no, it seems there is no direct route for PR possible in this case. Anyway, congratulations on having reached the point of Residence.