Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renting in Auckland with a cat

Default Renting in Auckland with a cat

Any advice regarding this?

I'm currently in Canada. My partner is a Kiwi that moved to Canada and obtained his PR card and in the process of obtaining citizenship here. He was offered a lucrative job in Aucklanda nd I'm hoping to complete my PhD in ChCh. The job starts March 2nd, and he landed in Auckland a few days ago. I'm staying here with the cat to finish my Masters (and wait out her rabies time). We are planning to move mid-June.

But my partner's having a really hard time finding a place that will rent to people with pets. Is there anything we can do/offer? We are bringing the cat from Canada, and have two letters of reference from previous people we've rented from. Both explicitly mention the cat caused no damage and wasn't a problem, but every time we call up a person renting and try to bring up the pet they just brush up off. The cat doesn't spray, is quiet, is spayed, has never gone outside the box, never goes outside (so local wildlife is safe!) My partner's having a hard time figuring out how to ask, or getting a chance to show the reference letters or offer to pay a pet fee. As soon as the cat somes up he gets brushed off or hung up on pretty much. Any advice?

Should my partner just not mention the pet until later, maybe once the landlord asks for reference letters? Should we not mention the cat at all and hope in 3 months the relationship with the landlord will be better and we can ask then?

I'm finding it really strange, because here in Canada I'm used to pets being fine with a non-refundable pet deposit, usually around $400. But 90% of rental properties here refuse to rent to tenant with small children. It seems to go the other direction in nz - people are fine with toddlers scribbling on walls but not cats or dogs. Do most people in the city just not own pets?
    Last edited by Jacq; 25th February 2015 at 01:10 PM.

Normally the way people get round the automatic 'no pets' attitude, if they do (and a lot do), is to manage to meet the owner face to face (not talk on the phone, or raise the issue with the agent). Once the person gets the feeling that you're decent people, it's possible to lean on them a bit, especially with your good references, and offer to have extra clauses to cover any possible damage written into the rental agreement, and to have the place professionally cleaned before you leave. I do feel for you - and the cat. Good luck!

We worked around it with a higher deposit (6 weeks instead of 3 or 4 weeks), it is really sad state here when you want to move with a pet. Initially when we moved here, there was one of the owner who wanted to see our pet in-person before agent was ready to show the place (somewhere we never heard before then). Try increasing the deposit and I hope you find a place soon.

Thank you for the well-wishes. Fingers are crossed on both sides of ocean.

I'll tell my partner to try being more upfront about the willingness to pay a higher deposit. Possible a picture of her might help? She's only 6lbs and her destructive capabilities on anything but a catnip mouse are pretty low. Hopefully her cuteness will move some hearts!

In the worst case scenario, my partner will have to find a small temporary place before he starts work on the 2nd (he's currently staying with his sister, who live on the wrong side of the city from his job) and keep looking for something bigger/pet-friendly before we arrive in June. It would be much better to find a place, now, though.

I have to admit, though, I'm glad he's the one stomping around checking things out and not me! I'd probably get way to frustrated at "no pets" people!

Another thing he was saying, he went to a posted viewing for a place, and it turned out not to be a viewing at all! They wouldn't show anyone the apartment, and just gave them all cards and said if they were interested they had to call this other number and get an agent. I thought that was really rude.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacq View Post
    It seems to go the other direction in nz - people are fine with toddlers scribbling on walls but not cats or dogs. Do most people in the city just not own pets?
    Maybe the toddlers can draw better than the cats and dogs...

I think you need to bear in mind that currently, the market is more favourable for landlords (and sellers), the demand is greater than supply, so the landlords get to set the conditions. Also, the people who are currently living in a place might only be tenants as well, so their interest in showing people round at all hours might be somewhat limited.

Good luck with finding something soon!

Default Try harder

We moved 2014 with 2 small dogs AND one cat to Wellington (no joke!). We lived at 3 really nice temporary places who accepted pets without a problem until we found our house. But we payed premium! Shouldn't be a problem with your background.

It is easier to rent with a cat than a dog
    Focus on the both of you being professionals part with stable good income. Give them references if you can. Else, dress the part of good law-abiding smart quiet residents during viewing.

We've still not been able to get that far in the conversation, even with our glowing reference letters. My partner is the very quiet an unassuming, and maybe that's part of the problem. As soon as the cat is brought up and they say no, he doesn't push the issue.

I think I'm just getting discouraged. We had no idea Auckland would be so anti-pet!

I think its also overtly concern of the property owners, they might have come across (or heard of) challenging situations of others and made up their mind. It is a tough nut to crack. Has your partner looked for places slightly away from the main city or public transport, if you don't have school going children then it will help to look for homes outside school zones, compromising on travelling/driving will also help to start. We had this struggle in the first year after arriving here and then subsequent moves were much easier.

As has already being mentioned I would try asking face to face.

We rented with 5 cats in Wellington! We volunteered to have the house and carpets professionally cleaned when we left, even though we knew the cats wouldn't mess up the house, we live there too for goodness sake!

We did have one great advantage though, we had a relocation advisor helping us find a place so she did the negotiations .
    She played up the fact that we're a professional couple who would look after the house, and that as we don't have kids, we wouldn't have kids running around the house adding more wear and tear.
    If it's really being a struggle for you it might be worth paying for such a service.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast