Thread: Apply for workvisa with 3 month contract

Default Apply for workvisa with 3 month contract

Just got a call! I applied for a marketing postion and got the job. Currently on a tourism visa and will be applying for an essential skills visa.
    Now the organisation is saying that they want to offer me a 3-month contract, to see how it goes.
    If they are happy with me, they are extending the contract.

But how does that work with an essential skills workvisa. Can you just apply for a 3 month essential skills visa? If yes, is it easy to extend to for example 2 years?

Hoping somebody can help me.

It might have to do with the 90- day trial period.., the job offer would still be 'ongoing', but there is a timeframe they (or you) can terminate the job. At least that is what it sounds like.

Is it true they can offer me a full contract with 3 month trial period? Or do they have to offer me a 3 - month contract first?

It is possible (common) to have a full contract with a 90-day trial period at the beginning, within which either party can end the association easily. If you get your visa on the strength of a contract like this, IF the job ended, then so would the visa, because essential skills visas are specific to the employment. (But INZ would allow you a short time to see if you could find yourself another skilled job to apply for another visa.)

Thanks @JandM that's good news! and thanks for the tip