Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to Calculate Points

Default Unable to Calculate Points

Hello Experts,

Can any of you please help me determine the points for EOI for skilled worker pr visa. Here is my situation

-- Masters in Software Engineering (from USA)
    -- Bachelors in Computer Science (from India)
    -- 7.5 Years of IT experience in USA
    -- Single status (never married)
    -- Age range 30 - 39
    -- IELTS 7.5 band general
    -- No New Zealand education, No NZ job offer , No NZ close relations.

Thank you for your time and help.

Exactly what you can claim will depend on the fine detail of your situation, and how it fits in with the regulations at each point. Here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/6954.htm are the regulations. SM6 has a chart with all possible points, with the last column showing where to look for detailed rules for claiming under each heading. At a first look-through, it seems possible that you could claim 130 points, depending on meeting the requirements everywhere.

-- Masters in Software Engineering (from USA)
    -- Bachelors in Computer Science (from India)
    You will need to check to see whether your two degrees are on the INZ list of qualifications exempt from assessment. You need to find each one mentioned, exactly by name, from the awarding institution where you did the course, with the date(s) in the last column covering the year when you received the degree. If you do not find it, it will need to be assessed by NZQA for IQA. http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/qualificatio...ns-assessment/ (They will look at both qualifications for one fee.) You should get, for your Master's, 60 points.

You should also get bonus points because your qualification is in an area of absolute skill shortage - 10 points.
    -- 7.5 Years of IT experience in USA
    If this fits the regulations, you should get 20 points.
    It may also, if it fits the regulations, get bonus points for work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage -15 points.

-- Age range 30 - 39
    25 points.
    -- IELTS 7.5 band general
    No points are available for English ability. It is regarded as a necessary skill for living and working in NZ, so it is obligatory before any visa is granted.
    -- No New Zealand education, No NZ job offer , No NZ close relations.
    -- Single status (never married)
    No points.

@J&M: You reckon he might be able to get some more points for having qualifications and experience in a future growth area? Might just push him over the sought after 140 mark.

Nobody can get points for a future growth area unless they've got a job in NZ or the offer of one, and then it would normally be instead of the absolute skills shortage points, so wouldn't make a difference to the number. However, once there's a job offer in the picture, an EOI only needs to have a minimum of 100 points to be selected in the next draw - 140 is just the minimum for EOIs without any job offer.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Nobody can get points for a future growth area unless they've got a job in NZ or the offer of one, and then it would normally be instead of the absolute skills shortage points, so wouldn't make a difference to the number. However, once there's a job offer in the picture, an EOI only needs to have a minimum of 100 points to be selected in the next draw - 140 is just the minimum for EOIs without any job offer.
    Right. So, he still needs 10 more points somehow then.

Lightbulb

@JandM: sorry if i jump into this thread - newbie 😊. Just a quick question. I'm currently working here in NZ (it has been 2 years) as a procurement manager under work visa based on partnership - student for PhD. Can i apply as a principal? and do you think our points will be enough? Please advise. Many Thanks

I see that Procurement Manager is on the LTSSL - see the qualifications they expect here. http://skillshortages.immigration.go...ement-manager/

If you have the qualifications and experience necessary to get yourself a minimum of 100 points for your EOI, there is no reason why you can't apply for Residence under SMC as the principal applicant. I can't tell you what points you might have, because you haven't said anything about your personal details, qualifications, etc.. Here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/6954.htm are the regulations. SM6 has a chart of all available points, with the last column showing where to look for the detailed requirements for claiming each lot.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Exactly what you can claim will depend on the fine detail of your situation, and how it fits in with the regulations at each point. Here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/6954.htm are the regulations. SM6 has a chart with all possible points, with the last column showing where to look for detailed rules for claiming under each heading. At a first look-through, it seems possible that you could claim 130 points, depending on meeting the requirements everywhere.

You will need to check to see whether your two degrees are on the INZ list of qualifications exempt from assessment. You need to find each one mentioned, exactly by name, from the awarding institution where you did the course, with the date(s) in the last column covering the year when you received the degree. If you do not find it, it will need to be assessed by NZQA for IQA. http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/qualificatio...ns-assessment/ (They will look at both qualifications for one fee.) You should get, for your Master's, 60 points.

You should also get bonus points because your qualification is in an area of absolute skill shortage - 10 points.
    If this fits the regulations, you should get 20 points.
    It may also, if it fits the regulations, get bonus points for work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage -15 points.

25 points.
    No points are available for English ability. It is regarded as a necessary skill for living and working in NZ, so it is obligatory before any visa is granted.
    No points.
    THank you JandM for a detailed walk through ... I think i dont have enough points as of now , getting a NZ offer is kinda tough...
    will have to see if there are any other ways to improve score before i give it up

Thank you so much for giving me a clear picture.

Please suggest ways to improvise the score or do i have to withdraw

There isn't anything to be done to 'massage' your existing circumstances to get more points. Only there being actual changes will make a difference. For instance, continuing your career may take you over the next boundary for points for work experience, which would add 5 points, but this can for some people also take them over the next boundary for age, which loses them five points - it just depends where your birthday falls if you can take advantage of the extra five. If you had a partner with qualifications, this can add 10 or 20 points. But, although difficult, getting a job offer from a NZ employer (usually done by making a recce trip to NZ) is the route taken by most people in your position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast