Thread: Visitor visa after post-study work visa (open)

Default Visitor visa after post-study work visa (open)

Hi,

I currently hold an open post-study work visa and it is expiring soon, but I'd like to continue searching for a job, so I was wondering if it is possible to get a visitor visa (9 months?) while I am here? And is it possible then to get a work visa after I receive a job offer while holding a visitor visa? Thank you!

is it possible then to get a work visa after I receive a job offer while holding a visitor visa?
    This part is certainly possible. The first part of your question will probably depend in part on details about what course you did and what country you come from in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    This part is certainly possible. The first part of your question will probably depend in part on details about what course you did and what country you come from in the first place.
    I finished Bachelor of Information Systems in University of Auckland and I come from Russia. But why would it matter though?

People are allowed different length visitor visas dependent upon where they come from. And I wondered if you've done a qualification leading to a skilled job (which you have). Now I will ask someone else about the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    People are allowed different length visitor visas dependent upon where they come from. And I wondered if you've done a qualification leading to a skilled job (which you have). Now I will ask someone else about the situation.
    My main worry is that "the maximum stay under a visitor visa is nine months in an 18-month period" (source). As I understand I am allowed to be in New Zealand under visitor visa for 9 month in an 18-month period, so I should be fine, because my current visa is post-study work visa, not visitor. But the wording is slightly different here: "When you apply for a visa in one of our offices, we make sure that in that 18-month period (eg 1 January 2013 – 1 July 2014) you will not be spending more than nine months in New Zealand." So is my stay under post-study visa going to be counted as well?

Edit: I found this in the FAQ:
    Q: My work visa has nearly expired but I'd like to stay for another three months to holiday in New Zealand before returning home. What are my options?
    A: You need to apply for a visitor visa, before your work visa expires. This will allow you to stay in and travel around New Zealand.

This reassures me a bit that only visitor visa time is counted in an 18-month period
    Last edited by williams; 28th February 2015 at 07:02 AM.