Thread: My Dogs here at last ! Rabies vaccine confusion.

Default My Dogs here at last ! Rabies vaccine confusion.

It was a common mistake.I didn't realize pet cats and dogs travelling here from the UK needed rabies vaccine.Last July we had our dogs vaccinated, our move took longer than we'd anticipated so leaving in February would be ok, allowing for the 6 month post vaccine requirement needed for them to meet biosecurity requirements.They both failed the blood titre test and here was where the fun really starts. We vaccinated them again in October/ November and this time they passed. I emailed biosecurity several times here in NZ, so I had my facts straight.they were happy to allow import of our dogs as long as 1 vaccine was given 6 months prior, with microchip Id ,that they failed the blood test was not an issue,as long as they had a positive titre at least 3 months before travel was, which they did.
    Our vet in the UK and Defra (?!!!)said that the repeat vaccines that were s given to them in October/ November would be considered the primary jab and not a booster. I had several emails from NZ animal imports completely contradicting this.
    We did have a dog shipment agent, who said our dogs would be ok to import as they did meet all the health requirements needed to get through.but I was worried sick, to say my nerves have been on edge is an understatement! But they are out of Quarantine now. We picked them up from Auckland and they have dabbled their toes in the Ocean. Yayyy🐶🐶💋💋

Great news, glad you're back together again!

We have only just realised our dog has not had the rabies vaccine. Mistakenly, we thought the vet had given it to him along with everything else when he was a puppy. We leave UK on 30th March and are now trying to work out what to do with said pooch (mad but much loved springer spaniel). Is it too selfish to put him in a boarding kennel for that period? Has anyone had experience with someone adopting a pet in a home environment for an extended time?

"Is it too selfish to put him in a boarding kennel for that period?"

Sorry, but if you cannot give yourself the answer you should never have had a dog in the first place. Ignoring the fact that NZ has the toughest import regulations to protect their livestock is utter negligence. I feel bad for this poor animal. Please check the content of your container by following MAF regulations prior closing the doors! Just saying to protect you from more hassle (no household items, costs etc.) after arrival! I invested almost three months of hard work and two months of salary prior arrival to get my animals in. Just saying...

Smile Pet Export agent details

Quote Originally Posted by Doglover View Post
    It was a common mistake.I didn't realize pet cats and dogs travelling here from the UK needed rabies vaccine.Last July we had our dogs vaccinated, our move took longer than we'd anticipated so leaving in February would be ok, allowing for the 6 month post vaccine requirement needed for them to meet biosecurity requirements.They both failed the blood titre test and here was where the fun really starts. We vaccinated them again in October/ November and this time they passed. I emailed biosecurity several times here in NZ, so I had my facts straight.they were happy to allow import of our dogs as long as 1 vaccine was given 6 months prior, with microchip Id ,that they failed the blood test was not an issue,as long as they had a positive titre at least 3 months before travel was, which they did.
    Our vet in the UK and Defra (?!!!)said that the repeat vaccines that were s given to them in October/ November would be considered the primary jab and not a booster. I had several emails from NZ animal imports completely contradicting this.
    We did have a dog shipment agent, who said our dogs would be ok to import as they did meet all the health requirements needed to get through.but I was worried sick, to say my nerves have been on edge is an understatement! But they are out of Quarantine now. We picked them up from Auckland and they have dabbled their toes in the Ocean. Yayyy��������

Hi Dog Lover!

Please can you advise who you used to being in your dog, we have just rehomed a boxer cross in Spain and are desperately trying to find a recommended agent to handle the move, either from here or from the UK, as he can travel back in the car with us prior to leaving for NZ. It will be hard for him as he came from kennels, so we want to ensure he is treated the best possible but also ensure we have the funds and time to plan ahead to ensure we don't end up with any delays and surprises the other end! any advice and recommendations would be appreciated. Many thanks!

In case this help, we used Golden Arrows who lived up-to the expectations and these guys have dealt with pet moving for years now. I approached them after positive reviews on this forum and little bit internet research - if you wish to know about some more movers then have a look at this thread