Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One way or two way tickets ?

Default One way or two way tickets ?

Hi all,

New here... :-)

Hoping to make the big move soon, BUT, I was wondering about flight tickets...

Going to fly with Emirates to Auckland and I was wondering if I can get away with a one way ticket as opposed to a return.

Any ideas on this ?

Regards,

Doz

I belive this depend on the type of visa you have.

If you have a visa that entitles you to live in NZ permanantly, such as a PR visa, then you can get a one way ticket. If you are coming over on a temporary visa such as a vistors visa - then you have to have a 2 way ticket.

I have to be honest and say I dont know where work visas or WTR visas fit on that.

If you try to book a one way ticket - the booker SHOULD ask you if you have the right VISA, but not in all cases does this happen.

Also, check the prices as a one way ticket may not be significantly cheaper, and it may be worth buying a return so that you could take a trip back at some point. If you do that - also check whther you could get a refuns on the unused portion if you dont use it!

Hope that makes sense - sounds a bit waffley to me.

hi avalon & dozzer!

Thanks for the info avalon...we where just wondering the same thing!

we are hoping (fingers crossed twice!) to have PR visas & can't decide whether to buy a single or return, as you say it might be a good idea to get an open return then we could always use it for a visit back to the UK...not sure how long the ticket can stay open for but it's defo worth looking at!

C

... or instead of a return you could just buy an onward flight to Oz or something? Just a thought.....

sounds like a plan...didn't realise that could be an option!? will defo look into that too!

thanks for suggestion moorf!

Chants

I think open returns are normally valid for a year.

We bought 1 way tickets - but then we splurged on Business Class and return were toooooo expensive. As it was it cost a huge amount to do it because were buying last minute at Christmas. I dont advise anyone to do that - we were honestly being quoted neary £10000 eack for a one way ECONOMY ticket! As it happens we "only" had to pay $1900 for a one way Business class ticket, sio we actually saved nearly £8000 bu flying Business class ! (Hmmm - that makes it sound so much better - wish Id thought of that at the time) And very nice it was too.

I plan to fly business class too.. As we'll be having 2 kids in tow.. and one is under 2 years old and I'll have to buy a seat for her as I don't fancy 24hrs with her on my lap!

You don't need a car seat either... not with Emmirates. But has to be on your lap for take-off and landing.

We travelled one way on a 2 year work permit from heathrow, really cheap, about 330 each, with Cathay Pacific, only 25kg luggage each ,
    steve.

Dozzer-

If you havent booked yet - its worth looking at Singapore Airlines. Thier Business class is often the standard of most other Airlines First Class. May not be what you are after, but I can honestly say it was an amzing experience.

Whoever you go with - you are gonna love it.

Only downside is - how do you then go back to having to fly cattle-class?????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast