Thread: Chlid care after school

Default Chlid care after school

Hi, I currently live in South Africa and thinking about moving to NZ. I am a single mother of a 9 yr old. Here in SA kids go to a after care when school is finished . What happens in NZ? Do the kids go home? Are there child minders? Any help or advice will be appreciated. Tx

Hi & welcome

There is an out of school care program available at many schools. http://www.oscarnetwork.org.nz/Find+a+Programme.html

My kids to a out of school care program provided by a local church, which includes pick up and drop off(before school). They are really good and I just use them on the days I work in the week.

Hi All

Thanks so much for the replies. It now puts my mind and heart at ease knowing I don't have to worry about my daughter after school.
    This now makes my decision to move easier.
    Yippee!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hagabel View Post
    My kids to a out of school care program provided by a local church, which includes pick up and drop off(before school). They are really good and I just use them on the days I work in the week.

Thanks Hagabel. I was wondering of the fee for after school care .. is it per hour basis or just a standard for afternoon.
    Also how would I know (I am outside NZ) which school is associated to which day care ?

Cheers

I think just about every primary school has some sort of after-school care associated with it. There are also some services that pick kids up and take them to another location, like the YMCA or Youthtown. In Auckland the prices I've seen are $14 for the afternoon or $10 for shorter programs. That's per day so it can be quite pricey. There are some subsidies for residents in a certain income bracket, but I have no idea how much that covers. And a lot of parents seem to trade off picking up each other's kids.