Thread: Considering sponsorship for a friend

Default Considering sponsorship for a friend

I have a friend who has emigrated to NZ for whom I am considering sponsorship for a visa. I have not known her for very long but I am impressed by her character, work ethic and devotion to her daughters. She is educated and smart but is working long and hard hours for employers who have no interest in her career whatsoever (despite her being a model employee).
    Does anyone have experience of having done this for a friend or colleague and can share the experience and the possible pitfalls?

I don't understand how you think about sponsoring her, unless you have a job to offer.

Otherwise, sponsorship is a big undertaking. The details are here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ponsorship.htm

its a trap bro...

I can't see anywhere in the literature where it says that a job offer is required. My purpose is to free my friend from the bind of having to work for one company, if I sponsor them she can choose work anywhere - she has a degree in economics and speaks six languages, if someone like this cannot get a job for more than the minimum wage it is a disgrace.
    I realise that it is a big undertaking in that potentially there are fairly large economic risks which the immigration literature does not spell out, so that's why I have asked here and I will also talk to an immigration lawyer.

So, the "friendship visa" isn't a myth?

I'm afraid the 'friendship visa' is a myth. Sponsorship is accepted by INZ to take the weight of providing evidence of the financials off an applicant, for those visas where that is part of the requirements. See here http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/Sponsor.htm. The person has to fulfil the other requirements for sponsorship to be a possibility. You could sponsor your friend for a visitor's visa, or a work visa if she were your partner, without her having a job offer, but otherwise she would need a job, or job offer, in line with her skills.