Thread: Cleaning Garden Tools and Grill

Default Cleaning Garden Tools and Grill

Just a question to those of you who have shipped garden tools - how clean is clean? My husband has spent the last hour cleaning our lawn mower! Does it need to look like new? We are doing our best to remove any trace of dirt or grass. Is power washing sufficient or should we use a chemical cleaner. Also, has anyone taken their grill? How clean did you get it?

From the point of view of cleaning, MPI (responsible for NZ biosecurity) are interested in anything that could be carrying life. (It's not about the look of the article.) Therefore you need to consider dirt that could harbour microbes (hence the outdoor stuff because of soil), anything sticky that could have seeds or spores embedded in it, any cobwebs with occupants or eggs, any sign of larvae or chrysalises, etc.. You need to think about the small corners of furniture and underneaths of objects, as creepy crawlies can use these even indoors. If MPI look at one piece of furniture and it's been dealt with well (and maybe if there's a slight aroma of strong disinfectant), they're less likely to want to look at more, which is a consideration because there's a fee for everything they open. An issue about Christmas decorations sometimes arises because a lot of families have home-made ones that include pine-cones with viable seeds inside. As with other uses of seeds (for food, decoration, inside shakers for the noise, jewellery) they can only be taken in if they have been treated so they cannot germinate. If MPI find anything suspect, it will either be confiscated, or treated at your expense.

Hello I really wouldn't bother...just buy when you get here. Hope that Helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Livingthedream View Post
    Hello I really wouldn't bother...just buy when you get here. Hope that Helps!
    Aehm.., probably depends on the budget you are bringing?

I brought all my garden tools and machinery (Lawnmower, Tiller, Trimmer etc.). Make sure everything is nicely pressure washed and dry. No organic matters! No snails! No spiders! Should be fine!
    Quality BQs are very expensive in NZ. I love actually the small stainless Kiwi Sizzler style BQs (we are only two), but if you like to entertain a larger group be prepared to dish out at least 500 Bucks and more for a decent one. Make sure the gas bottle fits!
    Last edited by Lazysnapper; 20th March 2015 at 10:19 PM.