Thread: Work visa based on partnership

Default Work visa based on partnership

Hi guys, I just receive a message from my friend to a lawyer. He asked me to post it here so he will have more answers:
    " Hi. I have 1 partner in New Zealand and I hold a student visa, We are living together now. I met her 1 months ago. I just wanna ask, if I marry her, can I apply for work visa based on partnership right after that or I still have to wait for 12 months living together ?

Quote Originally Posted by abcdef3156 View Post
    Hi guys, I just receive a message from my friend to a lawyer. He asked me to post it here so he will have more answers:
    " Hi. I have 1 partner in New Zealand and I hold a student visa, We are living together now. I met her 1 months ago. I just wanna ask, if I marry her, can I apply for work visa based on partnership right after that or I still have to wait for 12 months living together ?
    Not sure if its you or your friend from this post

Anyway the answer: From my memory, you will have to wait to prove the partnership. Here is the link for requirements: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm

If you have been living together for less than 12 months, initially we can only grant you a work visa for up to 12 months. Later you can apply for a further work visa for a total stay of up to two years (including the time already granted on your initial partnership work visa)
    Last edited by Sun777; 9th March 2015 at 03:12 PM.

To get Residence based on partnership, you have to prove 12 months' living together, but you can apply for a partner-sponsored temporary work visa once you can show about three months' evidence. (Marriage doesn't make any difference.)