Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Urgent Help about SMC EOI submission Points Calculation and Selection

Default Urgent Help about SMC EOI submission Points Calculation and Selection

Anyone please help me.

I have submitted my EOI yesterday without Job offer and offshore with the total points of 135. And heard that it is not possible to be selected for those applications without job offer with the points of minimum 140. Could you please answer whether it is true or not?

And I am currently working outside of New Zealand. My current job is in the shortage and future-growth list.

Is it possible to edit the EOI once it is submitted? If it is possible then I will try to get my wife's qualification accessed and update the EOI for SMC.
    And how long will this SMC will last and stay in the pool. What I heard is max 6 months, is it true?

I'll need the expert's advice in this regard and accept the reality, instead of having false hope.

Kindly please advice or suggest me.

Thanks!!!

Hi tinmichael,

When you look at the recent years EOI selection, NZ doesn't select if you have points less than 140, unless if you have a job offer. If you applied with less than 140 points without job offer, the application will go to the Pool and stay there for few months (maybe 6). If NZ is selecting less than 140 points within this time frame, you may get selected, but based on the analysis the chances are very less.

I don't think you can edit the EOI once its submitted, is there a withdraw option? If you have doubt, pls directly send an email to NZ immigration office, they will reply you on that.

If you cant edit the EOI application, you can go with submit another EOI application with your wife's assessment.

hi Michael,
    According to INZ1101 EOI guide, it says "If, during the time that your Expression of Interest is
    in the Pool, there is a change in your circumstances,
    or in the information that you have provided to INZ,
    you must inform INZ"

I guess that means you can still go ahead to get your wife's qualification assessed by NZQA, and update INZ the assessment outcome, and hence gaining extra points to your EOI. For my and my wife's cases, we got the assessment outcome in 3-4 month's time.

Yes 6 months' time for your EOI to be selected. If it is not selected by then, your EOI fee will be forfeited. refer : http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...migrant/apply/

Yes, you CAN change your EOI after it has gone in - as maldiniho said, you need to contact INZ and let them know what has altered.

I am concerned that you said, "My current job is in the shortage and future-growth list." You can only claim the points available for employment in an identified future growth area if you have a job or job offer in NZ. Most jobs that would be in an identified future growth area would also be in an area of absolute skills shortage, so those points are there instead, but nobody gets to claim under both those headings at once.

Have you looked here? http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/6954.htm SM6 gives you a chart with all the points that can be claimed, with the last column showing the other section to look at for the exact requirements for claiming under that heading. It would be a good idea to check through to make sure about what you have claimed, and also to see if there are any other points you can add in, as you've already thought about your wife's qualification. If you want to ask any questions about those regulations, please give a link, and people will be glad to help if they can.

If you find that you are short of the 140, even after everything you can add in, the best hope is to take some holiday time and go to NZ to see if you can get a job offer - NZ employers are known to prefer seeing applicants face to face, and many people on the forum have made this work for them.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Yes, you CAN change your EOI after it has gone in - as maldiniho said, you need to contact INZ and let them know what has altered.

I am concerned that you said, "My current job is in the shortage and future-growth list." You can only claim the points available for employment in an identified future growth area if you have a job or job offer in NZ. Most jobs that would be in an identified future growth area would also be in an area of absolute skills shortage, so those points are there instead, but nobody gets to claim under both those headings at once.

Have you looked here? http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/6954.htm SM6 gives you a chart with all the points that can be claimed, with the last column showing the other section to look at for the exact requirements for claiming under that heading. It would be a good idea to check through to make sure about what you have claimed, and also to see if there are any other points you can add in, as you've already thought about your wife's qualification. If you want to ask any questions about those regulations, please give a link, and people will be glad to help if they can.

If you find that you are short of the 140, even after everything you can add in, the best hope is to take some holiday time and go to NZ to see if you can get a job offer - NZ employers are known to prefer seeing applicants face to face, and many people on the forum have made this work for them.

Dear JandM,

Thank you very much for your reply with detailed explanation. I am very appreciate about it. For contacting INZ, could you please let me know the contact detail that I should let them know about the alteration?

And about the concern about the shortage and future-growth list, I have gone thru the SM8.5 and SM8.10 in detailed and what I found out is that even though I am not currently working in NZ nor I do not have the job offer from NZ, according to this url http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/...experience.htm , it said "If you do not have current skilled employment or an offer of skilled employment in New Zealand, your work experience must have been gained in a comparable labour market in order for you to claim points".
    Since my work experience is gained in Singapore, I believe I can claim points for the bonus in both absolute shortage and future-growth areas since my current occupation falls under those specs. Please correct me if I am wrong.

And it's very useful that you share this http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/6954.htm and I will look into detail, but please confirm about my assumption on the points on the absolute shortage and future-growth list area.

Your reply is much appreciated. Thanks a ton!!!

For contacting INZ, could you please let me know the contact detail that I should let them know about the alteration?
    Send it to whichever INZ office you sent the original application to.

From that same link you just gave:
    You can gain bonus points if you have work experience lawfully gained in New Zealand or that was in an identified future growth area or area of absolute skill shortage (see links below for definitions of these terms).
    (my bolding) Notice they are saying you can claim bonus points for ONE of those situations. You cannot claim for more than one of them.

(Notice, for everything that follows to be true, the applicant has to have a qualification which matches the requirements for the particular career which s/he is offering - to be found in column 4 of the list.)

A person with a job offer in NZ (that's not you) can claim bonus points for work experience in an area of identified future growth, and for a qualification in an area of identified future growth.

A person with no job offer in NZ (that is you) can claim bonus points for work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage, and for a qualification in an area of absolute skills shortage.

A person with no job offer in NZ cannot claim points even for relevant work experience (and we're not talking here about the bonus points, just the basic work experience points) UNLESS (this is you) it was in a comparable market.

So you can claim the basic relevant work experience points, because you did your work in Singapore, which is a comparable market. You can claim bonus points for work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage, and for a qualification in an area of absolute skills shortage.

If you later got the offer of a skilled job in NZ, you could not add in points for identified future growth area - they would be counted INSTEAD of the ones for absolute skills shortage.

Send it to whichever INZ office you sent the original application to.

From that same link you just gave: (my bolding) Notice they are saying you can claim bonus points for ONE of those situations. You cannot claim for more than one of them.

(Notice, for everything that follows to be true, the applicant has to have a qualification which matches the requirements for the particular career which s/he is offering - to be found in column 4 of the list.)

A person with a job offer in NZ (that's not you) can claim bonus points for work experience in an area of identified future growth, and for a qualification in an area of identified future growth.

A person with no job offer in NZ (that is you) can claim bonus points for work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage, and for a qualification in an area of absolute skills shortage.

A person with no job offer in NZ cannot claim points even for relevant work experience (and we're not talking here about the bonus points, just the basic work experience points) UNLESS (this is you) it was in a comparable market.

So you can claim the basic relevant work experience points, because you did your work in Singapore, which is a comparable market. You can claim bonus points for work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage, and for a qualification in an area of absolute skills shortage.

If you later got the offer of a skilled job in NZ, you could not add in points for identified future growth area - they would be counted INSTEAD of the ones for absolute skills shortage.

Dear JandM,

Again, I am indeed thank you for your prompt reply and an effort to explain me in very much detail. Now it is very clear about the absolute skills shortage. But for the points on identified future growth, there is this question about

"F13. Are you claiming points for a qualification in one of the identified future growth areas? *
    PLEASE NOTE: Do not select 'Yes' unless you are also claiming points for current skilled employment or an offer of skilled employment, in New Zealand, in an identified future growth area in Section E.
    If yes, please provide the growth area name, and select the name of the qualification."

And I got to understand from another member from the forum that that it means "You can claim points in this category if you are already working in an identified future growth area in NZ, OR
    If you have a job offer in an identified future growth area in NZ but aren't in NZ, OR
    If you have a qualification or experience in an identified future growth area obtained in NZ or elsewhere.
    Note: you cannot claim bonus points for *trying* to get employment in an identified future growth area."

Since my qualification is in an identified future growth area, obtained in elsewhere ( which is Singapore ), can i still claim point for this section F13? Your reply is again very much appreciated.

Thanks again!

While I realize that you very much want to be able to claim these bonus points under the heading of identified future growth area, I think I've already told you everything that I understand from the regulations about this.

I'm not clear why you so much want those points - assuming your qualifications meet the requirements in column 4, you will get the equivalent amount for area of absolute skill shortage. Nobody can get bonus points for area of identified future growth added on as well as bonus points for area of absolute skills shortage.

You talk about what you have been told by some other member of the forum. You should also notice what INZ themselves say, here. http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/...growtharea.htm
    Identified future growth area

Industries in identified future growth areas offer New Zealand considerable opportunity to increase its prosperity. Currently we recognise three broad areas: biotechnology, information communications technology, and creative industries.

You can qualify for points if you can prove your employment in New Zealand is in one of these areas
    . So, no employment in NZ will mean no bonus points under this heading.

There are two Licensed Immigration Advisers who kindly post on our threads - Karen Phillips and ChrisMwn. Those are the people with professional qualifications in understanding immigration regulations. If you want to question this further about the INZ regulations I have pointed out to you, I suggest you ask one of them.

Understand clearly now. Thanks so much. The reason why i want the point is because only if you have above 140 points then you get the change to get selected. So i found out that it is extremely difficult for a person to get selected if he is outside of New Zealand or do not have job offer from New Zealand. And it is almost impossible actually. I wonder how those who are not in NZ or don't have NZ job offer got the Invitation letter. It seems even if you have the highest possible points, it is not much possible to get above 140. Sigh!.

While I realize that you very much want to be able to claim these bonus points under the heading of identified future growth area, I think I've already told you everything that I understand from the regulations about this.

I'm not clear why you so much want those points - assuming your qualifications meet the requirements in column 4, you will get the equivalent amount for area of absolute skill shortage. Nobody can get bonus points for area of identified future growth added on as well as bonus points for area of absolute skills shortage.

You talk about what you have been told by some other member of the forum. You should also notice what INZ themselves say, here. http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/...growtharea.htm
    . So, no employment in NZ will mean no bonus points under this heading.

There are two Licensed Immigration Advisers who kindly post on our threads - Karen Phillips and ChrisMwn. Those are the people with professional qualifications in understanding immigration regulations. If you want to question this further about the INZ regulations I have pointed out to you, I suggest you ask one of them.

I wonder how those who are not in NZ or don't have NZ job offer got the Invitation letter.
    There are people with a higher degree at a younger age who therefore have extra points.

Otherwise, many people in the same situation go and visit NZ on a visitor's visa, having previously contacted potential employers or agents to arrange as many interviews as possible, and spend all their time between leaving their CV and making face to face contact with the HR of as many companies as possible.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast