Thread: SMC application and jobs getting messy.

thegrimfandango Guest

Default SMC application and jobs getting messy.

Hello,

I have submitted an application for SMC with skilled job offers for both my partner (principal applicant) and myself (non-principal applicant).
    At the time, we went with her as the principle applicant as she has Phd, and qualifiying experience for job on LTSSL (Uni Lecturer) as well as a skilled job offer, though unrelated to her degree (Accomm Mgr). I have skilled job offer (Cafe Mgr) and unrelted bachelors degree.
    Application is submitted though not with CO yet.

However, now everything's gone topsy turvy at the hotel due to mass staff departures and rejigging of how depts are run etc.
    The upshot is, I can now secure a better job offer, for a job on the LTSSL that I can do (Chef), but my partner, who is the principal applicant is now unlikely to be able to get the job she was offered as they are amalgamating roles. They will definitely keep her on at the hotel, but not in the role and pay grade we applied under - meaning her offer of skilled employment is now not looking so skilled .
    What can we do? Surely if we have to withdraw her employment offer from the SMC, that buggers up the whole application? We'd almost be better off with me as principal app now, but it's not like we can just swap places.
    Running it through the pts indicator again, we drop from 215 to 160.
    She cannot go for the Chef job to make things easier, she doesn't have the experience.

Ugh, it seems like we've just undertaken a huge amount of cost and stress for it all to fall apart right now

Sympathies. Life does seem to have dealt you a knock there on the one hand, but possibly a way out on the other.

I remember from your earlier posts that the whole matter of your partner's job not matching her main qualifications was already of some concern, but that INZ had said they would take both her career paths into consideration.

For most people, having a job that would count for INZ would mean their application would be selected with a minimum of 100 points. Having 160 points would already have had her EOI selected if she'd been applying just as a university lecturer without a job offer. So her application should still be considered, I think, even without the (possibly irrelevant) hotel job. What usually happens, if INZ discover while processing a case that some of the claims aren't admissible, is that the remaining points are the guide to what will then be done. If the person still has enough points to have been selected at the draw when their EOI went through, the case will continue. If their point would not have got them selected that week, but they're still over 100, their EOI will be put back in the pool for the remainder of six months since submission (and if in the meantime, something changes, e.g. they get an extra qualification or a skilled job offer that will raise their points total above the cut-off point again, they can notify INZ, and they will be re-selected).

This whole process about getting Residence is all down to presenting oneself, qualifications and experience, in a way that will fit with the regulations and allow INZ to tick their boxes. What your partner had originally was unorthodox, and already a 'might just work', but from what you say, it still might just work by leaning only on the university lectureship. You're right that you can't simply substitute yourself as principal applicant in the new circumstances, but at least there is the plan of a new EOI from you as a very solid back-up if the present one gets rejected.